Slide out roof very noisey in the rain

kowAlski631

SailorDon. As a life long boater (was on a boat for the first time as a 3 month old), I am very cognizant of the effects of not only wind speed but direction. Paul & I are happy with our choice to get slide toppers installed when we ordered our BH. We have experienced strong winds from all directions both sustained and gusts. We've not had issues.

porthole

Retired
Several years ago during the Hatteras rally there were quite a few who had issues with their slide toppers. Not problems, just the noise from the flapping.
We had zero issues. Only took our camper being on a slightly different angle to not have any flapping.

The few times that I can recall the toppers having enough flap to either annoy with noise or to have a concern for damage I simply brought the slide in a foot or so and solved the issue.
Bringing a 3-4 foot wide slide in 1 or 2 feet doesn't really crimp your lifestyle for the short time period.
And if we happened to be caught is a severe weather issue the odds are I would bring the slides in whether it had toppers or not.

Wouldn't be without them. And to the OP we had a topper on our TT. IIRC that trailer had a 14 or 16 foot long 3-4' wide slide-out.

mallard29s

Does anyone have a solution to the sound of rain on the roof of the slideout?
Maybe a foam pad, but that would get wet and soggy.

Best bet to solve your problem is not to camp in the rain......:confused::thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

jnv

DSCF0052.jpg

Hi SailorDon, We had a slide topper installed by our dealer when we ordered our NT. It was not available as an install option by the factory. It is by Carefree and we are very pleased with it. I am posting a picture of it. Hope it works, it's the first time I have tried this :). Notice the top clearance of the slide is the same (similar) to yours.

scooter75

We have a 2014 Wilderness 2750rl. We use to have a 2012 wilderness. I have noticed that it is much louder in the rain. I got a ladder and inspected the roof and noticed that the material used on the rubber roof is much harder than the previous material. The material used in almost all of the trailers I have seen is more (rubbery feeling) The material used in the 2014 is much more firm, almost like semi-hard plastic. It also has a pattern imprinted on it. (squiggly lines).

SailorDon

I have not investigated the material from which the "slide out" roof is made. All I know is it sounds like being inside a drum in the rain.
Retract the slide out unit and the noise goes away.

I'm not going to the expense of having a slide topper installed. I'm sure it would require drilling into the wall of the travel trailer and into the frame of the slide out unit.
Don't want to do that.

I've read a lot of posts to the "Open Road Forum" (different website) with a lot of accounts of "slides in" and torn toppers when the wind comes up (typically beach camping).

I'll use a soft closed cell foam float pad with a cargo net and bungee cords to hold it down if it looks like rain.

Or like mallard29s suggests, just don't camp in the rain. (I guess that's funny to some people.)

I prefer the K.I.S.S. solutions.:cool: