slide out

mpopo5219

have a 2020 big country 3902FL. All slides closed and opened prior to this trip. Closed slides to depart, upon arrival and setting up, the other half was opening slides and discovered living room slide was cocked. Forward side, of slide did not move, although the aft side did. Tried opening and closing, nothing worked, finally by pushing on the forward side and bumping the controller to keep even, almost open fully, so we could function. I could hear motors running, but slide not operating. Had a mobile tech come out and found a set screw loose, so motor would run, but drive shaft didn't move, tightened up and ops checked working as advertised.

mpopo5219

Anybody else have their living room slides come open while driving? On the right side the leading edge opened, so slide was cocked and near end of trip left side aft edge open, but with the connecting rod and gear outside of trailer.

Routemaster

Yes, I drove 2000 miles like that with it with a ratchet strap holding the slide in. When I go home on inspection I found it was the slide-out cylinder gone with a crack in the weld at the inside port now I have a Heartland alloy one not given it a real road test yet.
If you look at the rear end pic you will see where the oil seeped out and removed the paint also that end is fixed and I think it should be on a pivot because the room drops down on the outwards move so just has to bend. Alloy one would give more see the run on he ram??

Attachments

• Cyl1.JPG
    Cyl1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Moving out on the road.JPG
    Moving out on the road.JPG
    999.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Rear end cylinder mount.JPG
    Rear end cylinder mount.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • front bracket.JPG
    front bracket.JPG
    775.8 KB · Views: 31

Col.Ted

Thanks, I recently installed a dual battery system because where we store our Mallard there is no power in the lot.

wdk450

Thanks, I recently installed a dual battery system because where we store our Mallard there is no power in the lot.
Any chance of connecting a portable solar cell charger?
Here's a 50 watt one for $28:

Routemaster

Ref, my picture on the rear end cylinder mount to guys that repair steering on motors could we fit in that mount rubber bushing that would flex up and down? I reckon that end being fixed is what cracked the weld and leak.
Den.

mpopo5219

Having talked to the warranty folks and trying to get our rig in for repair, it finally came down to having to have a certified repair facility do a pin box to frame measurement. So, it finally was able to happen this past Friday, the measurement from box to frame, unloaded, on landing gear was 75", both sides, while the measurements loaded, forklift used to simulate connected to truck, right 75 3/4" and the left was 76" and if they moved the unit up and down/flexing, you can see the slide moving forward and opening up, with the movement and the gaps at seams opening and closing. Now back to waiting on decision on how and who will fix.

mpopo5219

On update on my slide issue. It has been with a dealer since September, to check out issue, have been in contact with Heartland warranty, awaiting decision on repairing. While checking measurements, for Heartland and Lippert, between pin box and main frame, we found same measurement while on landing gear and a 3/4" and 1" difference when on 5th wheel. And can see movement at the bulkhead seam (vertical wall and horizontal wall) at front of unit, as well as watching the Left slide come open. To date have heard nothing from Heartland or Lippert and the dealer say they cannot repair.

Dahillbilly

On update on my slide issue. It has been with a dealer since September, to check out issue, have been in contact with Heartland warranty, awaiting decision on repairing. While checking measurements, for Heartland and Lippert, between pin box and main frame, we found same measurement while on landing gear and a 3/4" and 1" difference when on 5th wheel. And can see movement at the bulkhead seam (vertical wall and horizontal wall) at front of unit, as well as watching the Left slide come open. To date have heard nothing from Heartland or Lippert and the dealer say they cannot repair.
I'd be calling Heartland on a regular basis until you get answers

mpopo5219

Update - I was finally able to get Lippert to send out a mobile tech, after inspection, photos, calls to company, and me agreeing to have repairs made, he went to work repairs the cracked/broken welds, welds that were never made when initially assembled (other than tacked) and added 6 gussets. The people at the Lazydays facility, found the after the repair, the slide openings were out of square and that they could not make any repairs. Finally after many more phone calls and a Heartland regional sales manager getting involved, Heartland has agreed to fix the slides and the interior/exterior wall cracks. Now just waiting on scheduling to date to have it there.