Slide partially stuck in open positioin

JimHamlin

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen: I have a 2008 Big Horn 3400RL whose curbside slide is currently inoperable. Problem started a few months ago when I had to push on the curbside slide to get it started over the floor ramp so it could close. Well finally the sh.t hit the fan, when the rear of the slide failed to move in while the front of the slide proceeded to come in. After the front of the slide came in about 1/2 way, I realized what was happening and stopped it. This was after I heard a chattering sound, which turned out to be the drive gear losing several teeth.

I've had the rig in to General RV a week ago for initial inspection, where they were to order the needed parts and we'd go from there. I advised them this wasn't the root problem - ie. the gear stripped because the real half of the slide was stuck in the open position, not because the gear was defective. They said let's get the parts on order and go from there. Well it's been 1 week now, and I just learned the part(s) haven't even been ordered! We are full timers currently in Michigan, and have only a few more months before we need to skee daddle South.

Two questions: (1) What are the potential reasons why the rear corner of my curbside slide wouldn't close? I was only able to get it closed by gradually actuating with the hydraulic ram 2-3" at a time, then using a bottle jack to take weight off the rear end and pushing hard. I now have it closed and strapped that way so we could get it home. (2) If the slide will need removing, any reliable service you might recommend in the Grand Rapid, MI. area? I'm very disappointed with General RV and thinking of changing horses before too much time has expired.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that comes to mind is whether or not you lube the slide mechanism. If you great, if not, you should.
I would also watch everything under there as the slide is moving in and out. You may find something out of order.
You need to know if the rod that connects the static and live parts of the system is turning.
When you put it all back together be sure to sync the two sides so that your slide is square to the coach.

Peace
Dave

JimHamlin

One thing that comes to mind is whether or not you lube the slide mechanism. If you great, if not, you should.
I would also watch everything under there as the slide is moving in and out. You may find something out of order.
You need to know if the rod that connects the static and live parts of the system is turning.
When you put it all back together be sure to sync the two sides so that your slide is square to the coach.

Peace
Dave

As stated, the active or "live" gear that turns the connecting rod is stripped. That's because the rear corner of the slide was stuck or binding somehow - preventing the connecting rod from turning. Currently looking at Lippert for a gear replacement, then for a reputable RV service outfit with the facilities to go from there. I have a hunch the slide will need to come out, to find out why the rear of the slide was binding to begin with. At this point, I suspect that the rear support tube may even be slightly bent, which would also add to the binding problem.

danemayer

Check for wood deterioration on the rear edge, outside edge, and bottom of the slide floor. If the floor isn't supporting the slide weight on one side, that could cause a bind.

rhodies1

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen: I have a 2008 Big Horn 3400RL whose curbside slide is currently inoperable. Problem started a few months ago when I had to push on the curbside slide to get it started over the floor ramp so it could close. Well finally the sh.t hit the fan, when the rear of the slide failed to move in while the front of the slide proceeded to come in. After the front of the slide came in about 1/2 way, I realized what was happening and stopped it. This was after I heard a chattering sound, which turned out to be the drive gear losing several teeth.

I've had the rig in to General RV a week ago for initial inspection, where they were to order the needed parts and we'd go from there. I advised them this wasn't the root problem - ie. the gear stripped because the real half of the slide was stuck in the open position, not because the gear was defective. They said let's get the parts on order and go from there. Well it's been 1 week now, and I just learned the part(s) haven't even been ordered! We are full timers currently in Michigan, and have only a few more months before we need to skee daddle South.

Two questions: (1) What are the potential reasons why the rear corner of my curbside slide wouldn't close? I was only able to get it closed by gradually actuating with the hydraulic ram 2-3" at a time, then using a bottle jack to take weight off the rear end and pushing hard. I now have it closed and strapped that way so we could get it home. (2) If the slide will need removing, any reliable service you might recommend in the Grand Rapid, MI. area? I'm very disappointed with General RV and thinking of changing horses before too much time has expired.

Check out Gillette RV in Lansing Michigan

also contact Heartland to see if they can help you out at their repair faculty in Indianna,a days drive from Michigan

mbarnes71

We just had this same problem with our previous 5th wheel, before we got our Cyclone, and it turned out to be the floor of the slide had rotted and the slide mechanism had pulled through the rotten wood. Two other of my buddies had the same situation.

also contact Heartland to see if they can help you out at their repair faculty in Indianna,a days drive from Michigan

Sarge

Peace
Dave

Would WD40 work to keep them lined?

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

also contact Heartland to see if they can help you out at their repair faculty in Indiana,a days drive from Michigan

From Grand Rapids, Elkhart is probably a 3-4 hour drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of lubing the slides, what is the best stuff to lube the slide gears and such?

I have a spray can of slide lube that I bought at Camping World that I spray on everything under there (seems to dry up fast), but would grease be better?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Would WD40 work to keep them lined?

Sarge
There are a couple of options for lubing the slide mechanism.
WD-40 would probably work but it usually does not last long enough for me.
There is a non greasy slide lube available at Walmart and RV stores which is the recommended product.
I use spray-able white lithium grease. Not recommended.

Peace
Dave​

Dave a

JimHamlin

We just had this same problem with our previous 5th wheel, before we got our Cyclone, and it turned out to be the floor of the slide had rotted and the slide mechanism had pulled through the rotten wood. Two other of my buddies had the same situation.

Thanx for the note. I suspect this is the underlying problem and the slide will need to be removed & floor repaired. Can't tell for sure, since you can't see anything until then. Taking the rig in to General RV tomorrow, where they'll replace both gear packs and gears, then we go from there.
We are full-timers, so fortunately we have daughter's place to hang out 'til it's all fixed. Hopefully before we'll need to winterize!