Slide Pulls Out Cabinet Door - Repair Advice Needed

floridarandy

Stormy day so when we left we pull in the slides. When we returned the kitchen slide caught a cabinet door and pulled it off the frame. Hinges still attached to door but screws pulled out of frame.

Repair advice? I assume I'll need to me hinges slightly on frame and redrill Can't see how I could "fill" original holes? But, maybe larger diameter crews in old holes?

Thanks in advance.

Randy in Florida

jimtoo

A match or toothpick to partially fill the hole ,,, a drop of glue,,, and run the same screws back in the same holes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Jim's repair will work fine if the hole hasn't been ripped open too much. Normally the screws that hold the hinges are relatively soft metal, so there should not be too much damage. If the hole has been enlarged, use more round hardwood toothpicks after squirting some glue into the hole. You can break them to length to fit the depth of the holes. Let the glue set for about 30 minutes before running the screws in. If not stripped, use the original screws.

I would recommend against using Gorilla glue in this repair since it needs the surfaces to be moist and the glue will expand considerably as it sets, making a mess on the outer wood surface, if you use too much. Something like Titebond III will work fine. Try not to use the door for 24 hours after making the repair to let the glue fully cure.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Jim's repair will work fine if the hole hasn't been ripped open too much. Normally the screws that hold the hinges are relatively soft metal, so there should not be too much damage. If the hole has been enlarged, use more round hardwood toothpicks after squirting some glue into the hole. You can break them to length to fit the depth of the holes. Let the glue set for about 30 minutes before running the screws in. If not stripped, use the original screws.

I would recommend against using Gorilla glue in this repair since it needs the surfaces to be moist and the glue will expand considerably as it sets, making a mess on the outer wood surface, if you use too much. Something like Titebond III will work fine. Try not to use the door for 24 hours after making the repair to let the glue fully cure.

Perfect.

floridarandy

So you can still buy matches :). Thanks to all. Makes sense, and as always, the simple is always the best solution.

jjriker

We had a similar thing happen right after we got our rig (now we use velcro straps to keep the doors closed) and our hinges were left attached to the door but somewhat bent. You don't indicate that yours are bent, but just in case, an FYI that we had new ones sent to us from Heartland.

floridarandy

A match or toothpick to partially fill the hole ,,, a drop of glue,,, and run the same screws back in the same holes.

Jim- thanks. worked perfectly. Good thing they made the doors strong so no damage there. Hinges were easy to bend back into shape and repair was EZ and sound.