Slide Topper- options and recommendations

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Slide Topper- Recommendations

Good afternoon,
We are currently looking at putting slide toppers over our 4 slides on the Elkridge. The local service center we use recommends the Lippert Salero brand. I’m not familiar with any of the brands. Dometic, Lippert etc. Any thoughts, opinions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

jnbhobe

They are pretty much generic, I have dometic on my rig and just replaced all the material. The part I like is that you can now buy the material off the roll, just measure what you need and cut it off.

esscobra

if your stationary a lot then it doesn't matter - but I recommend getting enclosed ones so the fabric will last longer by keeping the sun off and keeps some of the water out as well when stored

CDN

B and B
Have had Dometic brand on 3 trailers here with no issues.

A HOA neighbour has had nothing but problems with his Carefree brand, brakes issues.

Not sure I would buy Lippert brand, I do not think there quality is up par, built for a price.

brianlajoie

We had Carefree slide toppers installed when we bought the trailer. Kept having problems onthe long slide with the bracket breaking because of topper movement going downthe road. In the four years that we had the toppers we were starting to see the vinyl fail due to the sun. We now have the Lippert solera slide toppers with thearticulating metal wrap on it. The metal helps stiffen the slide roller goingdown the road and also keeps the sun off the vinyl. Make sure whoever installs uses a set screw so that the vinyl does not move. Both installations failed to do this and I had to have it fixed both times.

dieseldog

Had the Carefree type on my previous 5th wheel and they leaked rusty water from the ends and sagged when it rained. Went with the Solera brand on the Bighorn and they’ve held up well fulltiming in the South Texas sun for 2 years. Solera has my vote.

NYSUPstater

jaime,

I wish I knew what came with our BC as we ordered them w/ it. I want to say tho along the lines of a couple replies, I thought I saw a puddy cat, oops sorry, a couple pin holes but not sure. Won't know till late April/early May.

Mike

TXgearhead

I'm having Carefree toppers installed as we speak. The model I chose has a section of polymer material so that when rolled up for storage it protects from weather damage. We'll see.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Re: Slide Topper- Recommendations

Good afternoon,
We are currently looking at putting slide toppers over our 4 slides on the Elkridge. The local service center we use recommends the Lippert Salero brand. I’m not familiar with any of the brands. Dometic, Lippert etc. Any thoughts, opinions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Jamie,
When we ordered our Landmark in 2008 we opted for the slide toppers from the factory. I think they are Dometic but not for sure. What I do know is, after 11 years, they still function well and are in good condition for their age. And so you know, our Landmark stays outside, in all the weather, 365 days a year. Not my first choice but that's how it goes. During the summer the slides are out all the time even when we are home.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks all. Probably going with Salero or Dometic. Most likely a self install. Unless they give a better install price. It seems the Salero is slightly higher on price over the Dometic.

scwwoo

They are pretty much generic, I have dometic on my rig and just replaced all the material. The part I like is that you can now buy the material off the roll, just measure what you need and cut it off.
do you have slide toppers on the slides that already have awnings that cover them?

Daley07

We recently returned from our first camping trip after installing our RV Sliding Toppers. I ordered the Solera awning from Amazon. It arrived in good condition with all parts. It scrolls in and out as it should. During our camping trip, we encountered heavy rain and thunderstorm that lasted 45 minutes. The water was poured out efficiently and no water got past the slide's seal. Before installing the awning, we had what was essentially a waterfall inside the camp as a large amount of rain fell on top of the slide, unfortunately, it was on a slight incline that allowed the water to flow. towards the seals. So far we are very satisfied with the awning.

Last edited: