Slide toppers

CliffP

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Can I get some opinions of slide toppers. A dealer told me it would be a good place to save some $. He said if leaves do get blown up under the slide topper that can be worse than trying to keep them out. Any thoughts?

CliffP

[h=6]I didn't see these threads before I started mine. I'd appreciate any new thoughts. If anyone else has slide topper ?s check out these threads too. Lots of great info here!

Slide out toppers....Yes or No
By sjs731 in forum Slide Rooms, Slide Toppers & Awnings[/h][h=6]Slide Toppers
By goldenbetty in forum Heartland General Forum
[/h][h=6]Slide Toppers[/h] By imchud in forum Heartland General Forum

[h=6]slide toppers
By twowheelers in forum Bighorn - Exterior
[/h][h=6][/h]

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Cliff,

We have slide toppers and they work well but if we traded trailers I doubt I would have them again unless they were already installed.
They are noisy in high wind and cleaning them and the roof they are protecting is a real pain. Just something else to maintain.

jnbhobe

We have slide out covers on our rig and wouldn't be without them. I clean them by washing the tops and then roll them up while I wash the rest of the rig. Then I run the slides back out and rinse them off, every once in a while I have to use a brush on them. I do the same with the awning.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I clean my toppers when I clean the roof...from the roof with a long handled brush. We park under trees at our seasonal site with the slides extended the entire summer and have not had any debris blown under them besides a little dust. A long handled brush from a ladder takes care of that, maybe once a season. As for noise, I rarely hear them. Maybe they were just installed correctly. And we get wind in northern Michigan, too.

noobee

We have them & like them a lot... never had wind noise... under our large slide's topper we use the PVC supports that help water run off.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had em on my last rig and ordered them again on this one. They do make a difference with heat and the sun baking on them.
Keep in mind that when you ask a dealer about options, chances are they have most likely never owned a rig, much less having spent any time in one.
Oh, and his theory about leaves blowing under the awning.....what about the ones that just fall on top without an awning? You gonna close the slide with the leaves, or clean them off?
JMHO.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

Cant imagine sliding in bird poop, ice, water without them. We were is snow once and the neighbor had to shovel off his slide before he pulled them in. Just brought ours in and snow rolled off the end. The long slide topper makes some noise when the wind blows so I put an Air Wedge under it if we are there for the long term.

Airwedge_for_Website_400x201.jpg

Crumgater

We added slide toppers and have noticed a great difference in heavy rains - no more wet carpets from water on the slide roof wandering inside the RV!
Also, it keeps the pine needles off the top of the slide - and out of the slide seals.
We'll be keeping ours!

Geonkat

Bill,
Are you satisfied with the Air Wedge? I was thinking about getting one for our long slide. The water does tend to pool up on that one and a little noisy if the wind is from the right direction. The other shorter slides are fine.

Back to Cliff, I'd vote yes to the slide toppers. There is no perfect solution, but I think the benefits outweigh the cons. As far as the leaf issue, leaves tend to stick if the surface is wet. My toppers keep the slide roof mostly all dry, so any leaves that might blow under there tend to blow out. This time of year with rain and leaves falling could leave quite a wet pile on top of the slide.

Stella

Rally Survivor
Our Landmark came with the slide toppers from the factory and we found the original fabric to be nothing but a pain. At home in Illinois they held water and tree droppings creating a regular swamp, in Arizona the winds buffetted so hard the slides would go in. We were ready to just cut them off with the winds but instead we replaced the fabric with Solartec 90 mesh that I ordered through Lowes. We pulled the old fabric off and cut out the cords and just sewed them into the new covers. Now we have the protection from the leaves without the pooling of water and because it is 90% UV we are still protecting the roof. The best feature is the wind just goes right on through and the fabric stays nice and taught.

ChopperBill

Bill,
Are you satisfied with the Air Wedge? I was thinking about getting one for our long slide. The water does tend to pool up on that one and a little noisy if the wind is from the right direction. The other shorter slides are fine.

Yes. I partially fill with my portable air compressor then stuff it in the opening, then fill it the rest of the way up. Completely stopped the noise and water puddles. I just install it on long stays.