Slide Toppers

Teedeepee

I just bought a 2022 Mallard M210RB, and I guess I just missed this when inspecting. As I was doing some review at home with the RV, I had ran the slide out and it was getting ready to storm, so decided to put it in. Through this process, I remember4e3d that we had slide toppers on a previous RV, (many years ago), so I looked to see it this had them. I couldn't see any, but.....there are 2 rectangular additions on the outside top of the slide, about 2" by 6" that say "Solera Slide Topper". I'm confused, can't see one, and due to weather, can't get on a ladder to check further. Ideas or?

sengli

My first thought is if you cant physically see the topper, you dont have them. On every Rv I have seen they are an option, not standard equipment. They arent something thats tucked away and hidden.

Bogie

The two rectangular additions on the slide are probably prep brackets for Solara Slide Topper. Would save you from having to install them if you add a Solara Slide Topper. Take a look at this video.

david-steph2018

I have seen these on several new RV's, other brands as well, and as stated it is a mounting bracket already installed. It is similar to the rear view camera system that comes pre-wired for you.

taskswap

FWIW I DIY installed that same brand (Solera) of slide topper on the four slides of our 386MBH. They do a great job keeping stuff off the tops of the slide boxes while you're camping, and are probably added insurance against water getting in as well. The brackets they put in with those prep kits were not difficult at all to install myself but it was a little nerve-wracking at first trying to guess if I was running a screw into something solid or not.

The 7' ones for the bunk slides worked great. The topper for the kitchen/living area is really long, 13', and I wish the pole in the middle was stronger because it sags noticeably when closed. It works fine, it just needs to be stiffer.

Installing the toppers themselves was doable solo (I did) but very challenging. You unroll about a foot of the fabric and then have to slide the ribbed end of it into the metal channel that holds it, all while holding the topper up. The channel is sharp and the hold is a tight fit. Doing this without tearing the fabric was really hard. I definitely recommend two people if you're going to DIY it.

They come in different lengths and you order whatever would overhang your slide box by about a foot. These are the ones we ordered, they're pretty inexpensive (considering the protection they add to a coach):

Routemaster

Regarding slide out one of the slides skis has broken up, have ideas to get around installing a new one around wires. I just took off the ski and low and behold the floor is rotten!!
Second, I moved the roller assembly to the right value of 1 3/4" because the fabric was not covering the roof and was so offset and still could be moved another 5/8" but the bellow will not let me set it in the center. Now the stop on the wall is out of position, when I retracted the slide, the bellow leaver was not near the stop it was upright. They say that's its job to stop from bellowing out on the road, maybe something was assembled wrong.
Thoughts.
Den.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Routemaster

So. the floor is rotten I have not lifted the carpet to see how far back it goes.

Attachments

• Ski2.JPG
    Ski2.JPG
    912.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    771.6 KB · Views: 14

Routemaster

Check at the top of the "TEE" rail at the alloy strip going across mine is sawn and there was a gap behind one would think that would be wrapped around to the roof.