Slider or Fixed for Ford F350 SWB 4x4

acomavet

Hi,
I have read many posts on the question of whether to purchase a slider for a 2013 Ford F350 srw 4x4 SWB pickup. I have ordered a new Cyclone 3100 and will be picking it up in June. I'd like to hear opinions from those of you driving SWB trucks with ideally a Cyclone behind it or another Heartland fifth with the 88 degree bevel. I have never towed a fifth wheel before and have been towing a tow behind TT for years. Never remember coming close to sharp turning the TT.
TIA for all your help.
John

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Re: Slider or Fixed forFord F350 SWB 4x4

I asked the same question back in '09 when we started our Heartland adventure. I got good advice from Ray Letourneau; you don't need a slider hitch. I pull with a 2008 F350 4x4 Crew Cab and installed a 24k Reese signature hitch (I liked the fact that it weighed 120 lbs. vs. the 70 lbs. listed for the 16K version). We pull a 2010 Landmark Augusta and have never regretted foregoing the slider. Welcome to the Heartland family.

FiremanBill

I've got the short bed F-250 and a slider hitch that never moves from the forward and locked position. Not needed IMHO

dave10a

I've got the short bed F-250 and a slider hitch that never moves from the forward and locked position. Not needed IMHO
I have a slider and used it twice out of many times. It is not required for most backing situations, but is for the most challenging ones. Remember 88 deg is not 90. If you go without a slider you can always get one later. In that case go to a parking lot and back to a 90 deg turn and then decide if you need one or not. Reality is the best teacher.

dalspot

Us too, we bought the slider and have never used it.

Karen

Eddhuy

We have an F350 SB and no slider. Hopefully we will not need it, and am always watching on tighter turns. If it looks to tight, I'll forgo the spot and move on if necessary but have never run into the situation yet with about 6 years or RVing.

Milton_and_PeggySue

You will love the 5th wheel, it handles a 100 0/0 better and turning is a snap. You don't need a slider, we have a 2013 fifth wheel 3251TS Big Country 38 foot with 2004 F-350 dually, crew cab long bed with a 20 k hitch and have no problems turning or parking.

Geodude

We have the same truck, and we have a slider. We end up having to use it once or twice a year. Better to have it and not need it than find out you need it, at exactly the wrong moment. Mind you, it depends too where you camp. We end up in some pretty tight spots in our provincial parks where we really have to crank it around to get into some sites. So mark me down for "I like the insurance" except this insurance is a lot cheaper than repairing a broken truck!

Rusty_7

This first upgrade I did was tossing the Blowmax tires for Michelin Ribs, 2nd for our 2012 Cyclone 3950 was dumping the factory pinbox for a Reese Airborne-sidewinder. Our tow vehicle is a 2012 F350 SRW Cc 6.7L. Tows like a dream. Where we store the cyclone (RV Port)it is much less going back & forth to weasel the unit in place