Slides stopping

dana22

Slides keep stopping while opening or closing. Batteries have been tested under a load and test good. What else might be the cause for this to occur?

carl.swoyer

Slides keep stopping while opening or closing. Batteries have been tested under a load and test good. What else might be the cause for this to occur?
On my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel I had the same problem.
Simple fix was replacement of the 50 auto reset breaker. Cheep fix and I now carry a spare.
Some folks have upgraded to the 80 amp breaker however I opted to go with the fifty amp as my wiring wouldn't support the 80 amp draw. That was 14 months ago.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dennyha

I’ve been having an issue this past season with my hydraulic leveling gear stopping during retracting. I added some of the recommended stiction fluid to the hydraulic reservoir, and found that I was a quart low. I filled it to the line (with all hydraulics retracted). The situation got better, but was not resolved. I upgraded the circuit breaker to 80 amps, and again, the problem continued, but it still only happened when retracting legs, not the slides. I put an amp meter on the line going to the new circuit breaker, and when retracting the legs, it does climb to 80 amps before the circuit breaker trips.
Now tonight, it’s 36 degrees outside. I went to retract the slides, and the power cut out about 5 times. I was not connected to shore power, but my battery meter said I was at 99 percent power. (I have 600 watts of solar on the roof). Each time the hydraulics cut out, the interior lights shut off. It would be dark for a few seconds, and then come back on.
I don’t understand why the interior 12v lights would shut off as a result of the circuit breaker to the hydraulic pump tripping. With the colder temps, I can understand the slides hydraulics tripping the circuit breaker whereas it hasn’t in the past, but I don’t see the 12v light connection.
Any insights would be appreciated.
I have a Jan 21 appt with my local service center to get this looked at.

danemayer

I’ve been having an issue this past season with my hydraulic leveling gear stopping during retracting. I added some of the recommended stiction fluid to the hydraulic reservoir, and found that I was a quart low. I filled it to the line (with all hydraulics retracted). The situation got better, but was not resolved. I upgraded the circuit breaker to 80 amps, and again, the problem continued, but it still only happened when retracting legs, not the slides. I put an amp meter on the line going to the new circuit breaker, and when retracting the legs, it does climb to 80 amps before the circuit breaker trips.
Now tonight, it’s 36 degrees outside. I went to retract the slides, and the power cut out about 5 times. I was not connected to shore power, but my battery meter said I was at 99 percent power. (I have 600 watts of solar on the roof). Each time the hydraulics cut out, the interior lights shut off. It would be dark for a few seconds, and then come back on.
I don’t understand why the interior 12v lights would shut off as a result of the circuit breaker to the hydraulic pump tripping. With the colder temps, I can understand the slides hydraulics tripping the circuit breaker whereas it hasn’t in the past, but I don’t see the 12v light connection.
Any insights would be appreciated.
I have a Jan 21 appt with my local service center to get this looked at.

Denny,

I'd meter the voltage at the breaker while operating the hydraulics. I'm guessing your voltage is dropping below 12V under load. If that's what's happening, your batteries may have a problem even though you've got a reading of 99%.

Dennyha

Denny,

I'd meter the voltage at the breaker while operating the hydraulics. I'm guessing your voltage is dropping below 12V under load. If that's what's happening, your batteries may have a problem even though you've got a reading of 99%.
I’ll try that. I have 2 of the Battle Born lithium batteries I bought at the Rally in June. Thanks

danemayer

Another possibility is loss of voltage somewhere between the breaker and the connections at the hydraulic motor's dual polarity solenoid. Or a problem with the ground connections. Check for loose/dirty connections at both ends.

carl.swoyer

Going back to the batteries? Are all the connections tight, clean and corrosion free.?

Chrisandsama

This really sounds like your losing connection at a ground. As you might know the factory ground connections are not very robust.

I sometimes have the same problem retracting or opening the slides. What I do is stop about half way in and let the auto reset breaker cool for about 15 to 30 seconds and then continue to operate the slides. Works for me. I have replaced the breakers is the past.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I’ll try that. I have 2 of the Battle Born lithium batteries I bought at the Rally in June. Thanks

How did you wire in the new 80amp breaker ?
Did you run a new wire straight from the batteries to the new breaker or did you use the existing power wire from the old breaker ?
If you used the existing wire there is another 50amp breaker in the line before that row of breakers.

If you are still having troubles I'd be glad to walk you through some troubleshooting over the phone.

Jerrod

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am having the same problem with my system. Can someone confirm these are the correct replacement breakers.

https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-Circu...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are two different styles of those breakers. The difference is the mounting tabs.
But the tabs really are not needed as the breaker terminal is attached to the buss bar.
If the tabs are in the way you can just cut them off.

Peace
Dave

Dennyha

Did you run a new wire straight from the batteries to the new breaker or did you use the existing power wire from the old breaker ?
If you used the existing wire there is another 50amp breaker in the line before that row of breakers.

If you are still having troubles I'd be glad to walk you through some troubleshooting over the phone.

Jerrod
Jerrod,
When I installed the 80 amp breaker, I bought a heavier wire, about 1 foot long to go between the buss bar and the circuit breaker.
I am away from the camper until New Year’s, but I would appreciate your troubleshooting thoughts. If you could PM your phone, I’ll reply with mine, and hopefully we can schedule a time to talk after the holidays.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Going back to the batteries? Are all the connections tight, clean and corrosion free.?

I rechecked the connections when the problem started, and added dielectric grease to the connections. That didn’t fix it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Jerrod

Jerrod,
When I installed the 80 amp breaker, I bought a heavier wire, about 1 foot long to go between the buss bar and the circuit breaker.
I am away from the camper until New Year’s, but I would appreciate your troubleshooting thoughts. If you could PM your phone, I’ll reply with mine, and hopefully we can schedule a time to talk after the holidays.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I rechecked the connections when the problem started, and added dielectric grease to the connections. That didn’t fix it.

I replaced two breakers, the “main” auto reset and the breaker for the hydraulic pump, both with marine style breakers, after I had issues with both

The “main”, the first breaker in line after the batteries is now a 60A using the existing cable.

I bypassed the existing buss bar for the hydraulics by buying new longer heavier 2 ga cables and an 80A breaker. Both positive and negative leads on the hydraulic pump are fed by the new cables directly from one of the house batteries

Since those modifications I’ve not experienced any losses in power from either source

dana22

We replaced the 50 amp breaker and the slides don't stop like they did, but now we have another problem. The lights in the bathroom won't work on 12 volts. All others in the fifth wheel light as they should. How does the bathroom in the 2916 Ashland get it's DC power? Where can I begin to trace the wiring that could be the problem?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We replaced the 50 amp breaker and the slides don't stop like they did, but now we have another problem. The lights in the bathroom won't work on 12 volts. All others in the fifth wheel light as they should. How does the bathroom in the 2916 Ashland get it's DC power? Where can I begin to trace the wiring that could be the problem?

Did you check the 12v fuse panel for a blown fuse?