Slides Struggling to close

Hello,

1st post on forum, so please have some mercy!! LOL

Long time Owners but new problems are appearing since we left the RV in Storage for 2.5 years without touching it :(

Never encounter this issue before, but when we went back to pick it up, we noticed that the 3 slides were slightly open..

On our way home the slides keep opening slowly to the point that he had 3 slides opened for about 8 inches.

After the regular cosmetics and basic maintenance done added some " fluid just in case " prior to test the slides.

All of them opened without a problem, but one didn't want to close. After trying it several times over a couple of weeks, now we have 2 that don't want to close.

You can hear the motor and the pumps but can't really hear the pistons trying to "pull/close". There isn't much evidence of leaks, what else to look for?

Thank you in advance!

danemayer

You may have a problem with the valve(s) that open to allow Hydraulic fluid to move. Rooms moving on their own suggests a sticking valve not fully closing. I'd suggest closing everything and retracting landing jacks while hitched. If necessary push slides in while trying to retract. Then change all the Hydraulic fluid and then exercise the landing jacks first and then slides.

You may have a problem with the valve(s) that open to allow Hydraulic fluid to move. Rooms moving on their own suggests a sticking valve not fully closing. I'd suggest closing everything and retracting landing jacks while hitched. If necessary push slides in while trying to retract. Then change all the Hydraulic fluid and then exercise the landing jacks first and then slides.
Thank you for the fast response!

Actually thought of the valves and tested them and they definitely close and by grabbing the hoses while opening the valves at the same time of the activation you can "feel" the hoses and the fluid circulation.

Thinking on flushing the fluid too, I saw some good feedback about the CAT fluid and some of the lucas-hydraulic-oil-booster-stop-leak

One of the slides doesn't even respond by pushing and the other one starting to do the same. Not fun to crawl under with a wrench to manually close them...not at the campground and not on the road! LOL

Dahillbilly

If you know that the fluid is circulating for sure & no movement then your seals in the cylinder are letting the fluid by-pass. If the seals are damaged then you will want to flush the system for sure or you will have problems again.

Sorry for the newbie question.

But what is the manufacturer's recommendation for the 05 Grand Canyon Hydraulic system? I see all conflicting messages online ATF or just hydraulic oil, and also ATF and adding the CAT Oil Additive or the Fork Oil Additive.. ATF & Hydraulic additive?

An also, if the seals in the cylinders are going or had gone bad already, how would flushing the system help?

Dahillbilly

I'll reply to flushing the system; when those seals breakup into smaller pieces, those pieces can get into the valves & and pump causing more issues later on. Cheaper & less headaches to drain & flush the system. Alternative to that is to filter the fluid extremly well, Learned all of this with hydraulic systems on logging equipment in the woods!!! Been there done that as they say.

Thank you very much for the answer,

I just interpreted as if flashing the system will someone miraculously will repair the seal's problems :rolleyes:

The question still remains then regarding the fluid...ATF? and if so, how is it that LCI recommends ATF with some Hydraulic Additives?:unsure:

danemayer

Lippert recommendations on fluid for hydraulics.

Attachments

• Lippert TI___188_Hydraulic_Operation_Fluid_Recommendation.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Lippert LCI fork oil.pdf
    504.4 KB · Views: 9
Thank you very much!

We will try to flush the system and see if that helps.

On another note, in case if needed I'm sure that it is probably more cost effective to repair the cylinders that to replace them.

But if needed, has anyone replace them? I'm even trying to figure it out how to remove them. Looks like from underneath? uff I can only imagine trying to work underneath between the axles?

Has anyone experience or gone thru this repairs?

danemayer

Thank you very much!

We will try to flush the system and see if that helps.

On another note, in case if needed I'm sure that it is probably more cost effective to repair the cylinders that to replace them.

But if needed, has anyone replace them? I'm even trying to figure it out how to remove them. Looks like from underneath? uff I can only imagine trying to work underneath between the axles?

Has anyone experience or gone thru this repairs?
I don't know about your Grand Canyon, but I think the slide ram is usually further forward than the axles. Then there's a crossover bar that goes to the rear of the slide to keep things pushing evenly. You'll probably have to make a cut in the coroplast to gain access to the cylinder. This page on the Lippert site will probably be a big help.