Smart Thermostat with WiFi and Bluetooth and Phone App

danemayer

People sometimes ask about replacement thermostats that have WiFi and/or Bluetooth connectivity, with a phone app to allow the thermostat to be controlled from anywhere. I ran into this one from MicroAir.net. They claim it replaces most of the thermostats commonly found in our RVs.

It's a little pricey, but maybe this is a good fit for some.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm going to see if I can add the new LCI system into my rig. Then I can even control it from the dash of my Ford truck.
Hopefully I can do that in Goshen next year

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ILH

Jerrod,

You just need to upgrade to the new Landmarks. The upgraded KIB System controls all the A/Cs and Furnace and has a phone app.

Thanks Dan... You have no idea of the trouble I had getting my hands on this RV - didn't actually get my hands on it until June of this year, even through we ordered it in september and it arrived at the dealer in January (border closings). :)

2019_V22

After battling Dometic CT thermostat woes for the last year, the thermostat mentioned solved my issues.
March or April of 2019 I decided to upgrade my existing Breeze II unit in my Terry Classic camper. I purchased the camper in Dec of 2018, it is a 2019 model. So everything was only a few months old. But, I wanted the A/C to have it's own thermostat and be combined with the furnace and/or second heating source. My current rooftop unit was supplied with the the standard air distribution box containing all the mechanical controls on the exposed finished ceiling trim. I purchased the single zone CT thermostat (non-bluetooth) kit allowing electric heat strip addition. I added the heat strip, and control free air distribution box.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts...g-assembly/duo-therm-non-duct-adb_3314850.000

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts...ies/duo-therm-ii-air-conditioners_3314998.000

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts...for-cool-furnace-heat-strip-modes_3316232.700

I installed everything without a hitch early 2019 I believe, I did have to add to the 110V supply wire as the control box now resides on the rooftop unit, it's self, in a compartment of the molded foam blower cover, I also had to modify the existing thermostat wires allowing control of both from the thermostat location. Rather quickly the thermostat showed function issues, settings changed on their own, a setting I chose to change was not affected but a different setting was affected. I called Dometic, they sent a replacement CT thermostat (Non-Bluetooth). Same problem. In trouble shooting I was asked to check the foam bits behind and inserted in the cover-plate, making sure they weren't wedged crooked in their space, but rather placed in squarely. It was clear Dometic is aware of some foam issue they are/were having. Two or three replacement thermostats later the problem was still there. After many talks with tech support, a product support manager, and online research, I learned of the Bluetooth version CT thermostat. I opted for that instead. The Bluetooth CT thermostat is plug and play in my situation because I already have the interface control installed in the rooftop unit. Although the thermostat appeared to work, it really did not. This thermostat was not communicating with the rooftop control properly, after reaching the set temp it would then randomly operate the fan and or compressor in short spurts to the point where sufficient cooling was no longer achieved. Back on the phone with the same Dometic support personnel in an effort to troubleshoot the issue was fruitless. Another control board for the rooftop was sent out, 2 or 3 CT Bluetooth thermostats were sent out, the last being an improvement over the previous 1 or 2 due to a recognized chip failure. Still not fixed. By now I have communicated with the Dometic management staff member via text for months, we have communicated, tested, diagnosed, received replacement parts from mid 2019 till the weather warmed this past May or June. My diagnostic efforts had to be halted through winter 2019/2020 since the issue was A/C related, and therefore I needed the natural heat-load to further test. We picked this back up maybe June of this year and now I'm in contact with senior tech support management. A diagram of my wiring was sent and approved, so no issues there. What Dometic decided to do was replace everything at once. This would include the Rooftop A/C, the thermostat, and the control board but had to be done by a Dometic dealer. To date I had been doing all parts replacement myself, as I prefernot to have anyone work on my equipment. I settled for a local dealer who does mobile service, they looked things over, took pictures, I put them in touch with Dometic and forwarded the replacement authorization to them. The parts arrived at the dealer in what seemed to be an excessive time, when I checked into that with Dometic it appears they may have sat on the shipment for a bit. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled with the local dealer due to their lack of communication, but when they called me to schedule the service, I mentioned to the owner that I intend to keep my old unit since Dometic just wants the ID tags back only, and says the unit can be scrapped in the field. The dealer said they require the unit back to scrap there if doing the work, and If I chose to keep the unit they will not perform the service. I told them to send everything back and have a nice day.

This brought me back to the internet in search of a solution again, by now Micro-Air was in business and has a thermostat avail, they are a new company and the product was released earlier this year. I called them, explained my issue, they let me speak to an engineer of which I learned my issue is common among many Dometic users. I asked many technical questions based on my knowledge of the Dometic issues and felt their thermostat would work. In short it did, it was an easy install although the screw footprint is not the same as the Dometic, but the new thermostat covered evidence of the old one. Basically the thermostat works, operates the system properly, and has a much better UI than the Dometic did. Room temp is displayed when the thermostat is in use and at the same time as your set temp,the way it should be. It supports all the functions of my control board giving me use of the electric, and furnace heat sources. The multi zone version of the EasyTouch RV thermostat will support all the Dometic multi zone functions. This thermostat also gives home and away settings, allowing you to maintain a consistent temp (program mode) using either your heat or A/C source when away, that's a nice residential feature the Dometic doesn't offer. I did notice a few UI (User Interface) glitches, and or functions that I did not like, when I called them and mentioned what I thought seemed a skew, they were very responsive to hear my suggestions so they could make software adjustments on future updates to both the app and thermostat. As a new company, and a new product they are obviously making improvements and are eager to learn what areas may need them. That's something where Dometic falls short. In defense of Dometic I will say they were helpful, we were both patient, but in the end it was clear that Dometic doesn't know what the problem really is, and does not have enough consumer issue documented feedback to prompt any change in the design. I was told that they will probably be discontinuing the Bluetooth line as it's not a widely enough used feature. For the time I have patiently spent hoping to get the Dometic design to function because I really wanted the Bluetooth feature for it's convenience, the money spent to this point now that everything works, has been worth it.

http://micro-air.com/products_easytouch_rv_thermostat_touchscreen.cfm#EasyTouchRVIcons

tomhank

This Honeywell furnace thermostat is ideal for those who want simple-to-use electronics. You'll like it if you prefer the fundamentals and aren't interested in all of the bells and whistles that other, more advanced thermostats provide.

Last edited:

Dennyha

I don’t believe the Honeywell will work with a Dometic AC. Only Dometic or MicroAir t-stat will work with a Dometic AC.