So it has come to this. (installed a water alarm)

2010augusta

With the nearly monthly leaks that have flooded the basement, I finally picked up a water sensor alarm today while picking up a union to fix the latest leak.

The unit I got is the Basement Watchdog, it has a 6' cord so the sensor can be mounted separate from the alarm box, and it is powered by a 9-volt battery.
DSCN6757..JPGDSCN6758..JPG

I put the alarm box in the bathroom vanity and dropped the sensor through the large hole that the plumbing comes up through. I then mounted the sensor to the basement floor in a spot that seems to get wet no matter where the leak originated.
DSCN6759..JPGDSCN6761..JPG

Hopefully this will be a better way of find leaks, instead of finding several gallons of water next to the toolbox when I need a screwdriver.

lwmcguir

With the nearly monthly leaks that have flooded the basement, I finally picked up a water sensor alarm today while picking up a union to fix the latest leak.

The unit I got is the Basement Watchdog, it has a 6' cord so the sensor can be mounted separate from the alarm box, and it is powered by a 9-volt battery.
View attachment 8490View attachment 8492

I put the alarm box in the bathroom vanity and dropped the sensor through the large hole that the plumbing comes up through. I then mounted the sensor to the basement floor in a spot that seems to get wet no matter where the leak originated.
View attachment 8489View attachment 8493

Hopefully this will be a better way of find leaks, instead of finding several gallons of water next to the toolbox when I need a screwdriver.

That is a sad statement for a Luxury coach. We had our Yellowstone and previous campers for years and not one flooded basement. We have had two water leaks so far and have another drip in the grey water system.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
That IS a good idea Alan.

It is sad that the history your trailer has; has made you feel the need to do that. It is clear that HL continues to struggle with certain items. Plumbing is certainly one of them.

Maybe the units made in 2010 have been improved-I hope so.

ChopperBill

Our "11" looked pretty good on my first inspection. All the pressure water line fittings are brass except the elbows down the line that snake off to the washer drier area. They used the money they saved on my shower seat and towel bar. he he! Dont use W/D so I will probably put shut off valves close to the docking station for those. Plumbing looks a lot easier to access on the 3610 than it was on my 3055. But hopefully (knock on wood) I wont be going into that. Alan, hope you never have to hear that alarm! (it wasn't made in China was it! :eek: )

RoadJunkie

Probably not a bad idea to add this alarm even if one doesn't have leak problems....yet. One mod I've been thinking about is to add a plumbers inspection door on the panel behind the UDC. This would allow regular inspection without having to remove the panel. Anyone performed this modification yet?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Probably not a bad idea to add this alarm even if one doesn't have leak problems....yet. One mod I've been thinking about is to add a plumbers inspection door on the panel behind the UDC. This would allow regular inspection without having to remove the panel. Anyone performed this modification yet?

Yes, I did. Added one to the DS panel, too, so I could eyeball my converter and suppressor. First I decided on the size, then drilled holes for the jigsaw blade in the corners. Cut the fabric in and X between them and pulled it into the hole after cutting it out. Stapled it to the backside and cut off the excess. Size the framing and door so that there is a lip of the original board for the door panel to set against. The hold-downs are simply screwed to the frame and can be rotated to open it. Material is 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood.

View attachment 8498

2010augusta

The Landmarks are slightly different, there is one small wall that is less than 18" and then a large wall that is 5-6'. I have not had the small section inplace for over a year now and the large section is mounted on hinges so it just swings out of the way to allow access and inspect things.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Didn't know that. I've never seen a Landmark up close and personal, even at RV Shows where Heartland's are on display. But, as you can see, in a BH3670, they're two large panels screwed together in the middle and to the UDC at one end and a stud on the other. And you have to remove the cover for the W/D plumbing, as well. As I think about it, mounting a light fixture behind my walls might be an idea. Trying to do anything while holding a flashlight is a problem. If it's a sunny day, I'm playing blind man's bluff in there until my Transition lenses lighten back up.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Sorry for all your water issues! Sure is discouraging news! :( Hopefully they have ended!

beardedone

Beardedone
I have been leak free for 5 hours now. I am holding my breath though. My issue was with both 3-way valves. The black plastic elbows are nothing but crap. They now the brass street elbow in them and holding well. The next area of concern is the water pump. If you bump it the swivel in/out valves leak. So I am thinking about what I can do about that. I also had a little ongoing leak at city water connection, again, so I put a brass 45 angle in the UDC and was able to snug in it very well. Seems to have pulled everything together.

ChopperBill

I dont even put the screws back in my docking station panel after the first time opened it. I just put it in place and slide one of my storage boxes against it to hold it there when traveling other wise it isnt going anywhere any way. On our 3055 it fit snug enough I didnt even have to do that.