Solar Ready

escbsap

My 2021 Fuel 287 came solar ready with a side mounted plug. I'm researching the option to install an inverter with an ATS but want to make use of the "solar ready" feature on the rig. Is the side mounted solar plug wired directly to the batteries, or does it go through the onboard converter and then to the batteries?

david-steph2018

What are the "end results" you are wanting to establish? What do you plan on running off the inverter?
Your Fuel doesn't already have a transfer switch installed? If you have a generator factory installed, there should already be a transfer switch.

escbsap

End results- I want to provide power to the outlets for some small electronics as well as the 3 TVs that are installed. I want to be able to turn on the inverter without having to manually turn off/disconnect the converter. Also want to add solar panels to help keep the batteries charged. I do have a factory installed onboard generator, therefore I most likely already have an ATS just like you mentioned david-steph2018. is it possible to use the existing ATS to wire the inverter and converter to operate as desired?

Thanks.

Dahillbilly

that solar ready plug is just that a plug for small solar panel to maintian the battey. On our RV those two wires weren't even connected to anything in the battery compartment

centerline

ATS units are not always standard equipment on the different models and brands of RV's....

"solar ready" can be a misleading term.... solar ready generally means that the rig is "pre-wired" for solar components, (panels, controller) but there is no standard as to how much solar power the wiring can handle, so this is something that should be addressed by the manufacturer....
some "solar ready" installations are for ground based panels due to lack of room on the roof, others are for small panels to keep the battery maintained while in storage, and others may be able to handle a thousand watts, but I havent seen this type yet.

our small solar power arrays and inverters have direct no relationship to one another, but with enough battery power an inverter can be a useful device.... all solar panels/power can do for us is charge the batteries... after the inverter depletes them....

Last edited:

david-steph2018

End results- I want to provide power to the outlets for some small electronics as well as the 3 TVs that are installed. I want to be able to turn on the inverter without having to manually turn off/disconnect the converter. Also want to add solar panels to help keep the batteries charged. I do have a factory installed onboard generator, therefore I most likely already have an ATS just like you mentioned david-steph2018. is it possible to use the existing ATS to wire the inverter and converter to operate as desired?

Thanks.
There has to be a way to do what you wish. Some people install another breaker box with just the items they went to run off the inverter. There are a couple of threads on here with this setup. Try using the search feature up in the right corner and see what can be found.
We had a full rig solar system installed in September 2022 from a company in Nappanee, Ind., so we don't have a system like you want to install.

LBR

I installed another 50A TS just upstream of the breaker box. Wired in a 3000 W inverter with 12 gauge household wire to the TS secondary side for full-house 120V. The primary TS side flows current from the factory TS shore/generator.

Press the inverter switch on, wait ~15 seconds to transfer, which supersedes the shore power and first TS side, then can shut down either generator if am using one.

centerline

you should look at the Xantrex freedomX 3000 inverter.... its a pass thru unit, which has the built in transfer switch to separate and protect the inverter from shore power, and is simple to connect in. it does everything you want it to.

with your shore power, if you have an onboard generator you will need to make sure you have an ATS separating them BEFORE installing the xantrex unit.... and the xantrex unit connects into the system between the ATS and the power distribution panel... its not the cheapest, but the price is reasonable considering its a quality brand name inverter that does it all in just one unit.

escbsap

All these sound like good options. What about the converter? Is it possible to isolate it with a TS? Also, just got a response from Heartland telling me that my solar ready plug is wired through the converter then to the batteries. This defeats the purpose of using solar to maintain the batteries since the converter needs to be isolated while using the inverter.

SLO

All these sound like good options. What about the converter? Is it possible to isolate it with a TS? Also, just got a response from Heartland telling me that my solar ready plug is wired through the converter then to the batteries. This defeats the purpose of using solar to maintain the batteries since the converter needs to be isolated while using the inverter.

Doesn’t make sense to my simple mind. Solar is DC, converter is AC in then converts it to DC out to charge batteries and run DC loads. Your solar shouldn’t go through converter. What you don’t want to do is have your inverter supply AC power to panel and go to converter to charge batteries. It’s like having your batteries charge your batteries, doesn’t work. One way is to have inverter go to sub panel. That sub panel does not have the breaker that goes to converter, so converter is isolated from inverter. Another way is to have an inverter with a converter built into it. That way they wouldn’t be no at the same time. Then you would just unplug your existing converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

centerline

No.. maybe you misunderstand?.... the CONverter takes shore power and converts it to 12vdc... the INverter takes the power FROM the batteries and inverts it to 120vac
everything else DEPENDS on the inverter options and its capability.....
with the new technology Inverters, they can be installed DIRECTLY in the main line that feeds the power distribution panel (some models can be "paralleled" into the circuit)...... or, by using an older or basic model inverter, which is usually installed as an isolated system where it draws its power directly from the batteries, and then the device can be plugged directly into the inverter (or a custom circuit specifically for the isolated inverter).....

in almost every case, if you want the inverter ONLY so you can watch tv... or run the microwave.... or for whatever other "single use" desire you have for the inverter, its a easier and cheaper to install the smallest size inverter that can easily power the device, then install it near the device so you can plug the device directly into it, ( or BETTER, install it near the batteries, using an extension cord, or custom circuit to supply power to the device) and then run the appropriate sized wires from the batteries to power the inverter.... this would be an ISOLATED installation....

on a 30amp RV circuit, the xantrex freedomX 3000 is a SMART "pass thru" inverter, and can be connected inline to the PDP.
it has the capability to AUTOMATICALLY choose between drawing its power from the batteries, or shore power, as it senses the needs of the circuits (that is user adjustable) and chooses the option that gives the cleanest, most balanced power to the PDP...
as an example, this means if you are plugged into 15amp shore power, and you need enough power to run (2) 1500w space heaters to their full capability, and which the 15amp shore power canNOT provide, the inverter senses this and draws power from the batteries and inverts it to 120vdc power to make up the difference.... the unit has a user adjustable low voltage safety feature can be set to have the inverter drop out when the batts get to the low set point, so that it doesnt kill the batteries....or this feature can be switched off entirely...

(for 50amp circuits use the Xantrex XC Pro 3000, which is basically the same design but for use in dual leg 50amp rv/marine circuits, and has even more features and adjustable settings)

the "PASS THRU" design of the unit means that it has an internal ATS, so even as the inverter is connected to both shore power and battery power, shore power is ALWAYS the primary power source, and it will simply "pass thru" all the circuitry of the inverter to supply power to the PDP... if the voltage in the PDP circuits drop a bit due to another high draw device being turned on, the inverter will sense this and add some inverted batt power to bring the circuit voltage up to its high set level.. (or it can be shut off so it will never draw from the batts while on shore power)

there are other much cheaper, less sophisticated inverters available, and most of them are best suited for isolated installations where the use of an extension cord may be needed to get the inverted power from the inverter to the device, or with a creative mind and additional equipment, they can be integrated into the main circuit like the smart pass thru inverters....

Last edited:

escbsap

Thanks everyone for your input. After considering the many options mentioned, I have decided to go with an affordable inverter, and the option of manually switching the converter on and off as needed. Next step, start putting together the system.

centerline

Thanks everyone for your input. After considering the many options mentioned, I have decided to go with an affordable inverter, and the option of manually switching the converter on and off as needed. Next step, start putting together the system.
if you have a generator, you should add an ATS to the incoming shore power. it should be a standard install, with a genset, but it is NOT...

without a genset, and only using shore power (with or without solar panels installed) use a smart inverter such as this https://www.renogy.com/3000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger-w-lcd-display/ , it will allow you to do everything you want and more... the inverter has its own ATS built into it so that you dont have to kill the shore power to run it... just push a button to turn the inverter on or off as needed, and it will play nice and safely manage the power better than a person ever could...