SOLVED: Atwood Water Heater Leaking (broken weld seam)

hut

I have an Atwood GC10a-4e water heater. I have recently re-plumbed several pieces in the basement with pex - nothing leaking from any of that. This morning I have a drip coming from the gas line tube under the trailer. I have checked the inlet and outlet - no leaks. The pop-off valve will dribble from time to time, but it's dry currently. The bottom of the platform is soaked.

Are there any other inlet / outlets on the tank that I'm missing? Could the tank itself be leaking?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: Hot Water Heater Leaking

Hi hut,

If you've positively ruled out the inlet and outlet to the water heater, and the temp/pressure relief valve, the only 2 other things I can think of are the drain cap on the exterior, and the tank itself. The tank would probably only leak if it suffered freeze or collision damage.

I'd put tissue paper on all of the plumbing anywhere nearby and see if something turns up wet after 30 minutes.

david-steph2018

We just had the same issue with our tank. The leak on our unit was the 90 deg fitting going into the water heater at the bottom of the heater. But we have a Road Warrior 427 instead. But when the new 90 was installed it actually pulled the line out of the "T" connector so had to replace that line too.

hut

We just had the same issue with our tank. The leak on our unit was the 90 deg fitting going into the water heater at the bottom of the heater. But we have a Road Warrior 427 instead. But when the new 90 was installed it actually pulled the line out of the "T" connector so had to replace that line too.

I’ve replumbed all the way to the tank, in and out. As much as it’s dribbling out the bottom, it would have to be seen from wherever it’s coming from. Daylight tomorrow I’ll be able to look again.

On another point, are y’all really David and Stephanie? When I saw your ID, I thought it was my wife and me, but it’s on your post! Hilarious!

hut

Final Report: I finally got time and pulled the heater (made time because the leak was becoming stronger). The unit looked undisturbed (all insulation strapped in place), but water coming from within. But the tank weld around the center had a place where they’d gone back and hit it again. So, I’m not sure if it was like that from the factory, or if it was a repair job. Either way.... A new one on its way from PPL in Houston. With them shipping overnight, it was still $200 cheaper than the local guys. I’m “thankful” for HOT WATER!! :)

That shower last night was murder....

Thanks for all the comments!!