SOLVED: How do I open the microwave vent?

kdubinwa

I'm afraid I will break my exterior microwave vent so I'm asking the silly question first. I was told to push "up" on the two tabs at the base of the vent, but the vent cover does not release. Is that correct? How much force is used?

Thanks
Kurt.

e1793e8a7a1ab1cbaf1056f0cb2d01c2.jpg

gasman

Camp Socializer
Re: How do I open the microwave vent?

Kurt, I had to use a flat blade screwdriver to open mine. I slid it up behind the tabs as far as I could and then twisted the screwdriver. It took quite a bit of force. There is a plastic tab that snaps into a catch. It is not something you will want to open and close on a regular basis.

WBG

WBGavin
Re: How do I open the microwave vent?

This is probably the worst design "Feature" on the Bighorn

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I use a dowel to push up and twist the tabs to open and can close them using same.
I did take my dremel tool and trim off some material to make the tabs easier to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm not sure why everyone has so much trouble with these vents . . . they are so easy to open!

Put your thumbs on the outside edge of each tab and push up and slightly out . . . and they pop open easily!

Here is ours:

ProwlerVent-P1000081.jpg ProwlerVent-P1000079.jpg ProwlerVent-P1000784.jpg

travelin2

I'm not sure why everyone has so much trouble with these vents . . . they are so easy to open!

Put your thumbs on the outside edge of each tab and push up and slightly out . . . and they pop open easily!

Here is ours:

]

John
I think everyone's issue is more with accessibility. My tabs are easy to open but well beyond my nearly 8' reach.

L

kdubinwa

My tabs didn't budge until I put a lot of force on them. Thought for sure they might break but didn't

travelin2

My tabs didn't budge until I put a lot of force on them. Thought for sure they might break but didn't

One of the tabs on ours was tight. I took my dremel to the "seat" not the tab and removed a bit of material. Opens much easier.
Maybe you could try same...?

Gaffer

Mine were so tight that it took two of us on a ladder (with screwdriver and butter knife) to get it open the first time. After a few openings it is a bit easier now.

farside291

I opened mine the first time and had so much trouble, two years later, never been latched shut. I do hear them banging when the wind blows just right. I'm not sure if bugs could get in there when the RV is parked.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Opened ours when we got it, haven't closed it. I think it's an improvement over the old style flap that would break off if you looked at it funny.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I guess I must have been lucky and gotten the only one that opens right . . .

I will say it took me a few minutes to figure it out, but once I did it is a piece of cake!

farside291

I like the new design with the cover over the cover. It protects it from the sun. I wonder how much they bang around when driving??

Bronna

We have a 2021 Mallard. The outside vent and cover is just like the one pictured by JohnD. Our vent flap was not working freely so I needed to remove the cover to access the flapper itself. I have attached three pictures to show the hook tabs that hold the cover in place. Put your thumb inside the cover and push outward at the hook tabs and pull slightly. One side at a time. Then it's easy to access the flapper itself. Remove and trim the flap as needed. (I had to trim both edges and where it pivots) I trimmed it with a box cutter, new blade. The flap cuts like butter so be careful. Used a little spray silicone on the flapper two pivot points. Reassemble and it works great. I have to wedge the flapper down while traveling. Haven't figured out a clean way to latch the flap yet.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_224956327.jpg
    PXL_20230315_224956327.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20230315_224944499.jpg
    PXL_20230315_224944499.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20230315_224910789.jpg
    PXL_20230315_224910789.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20