SOLVED - LG Ice Maker Not Working 2021 model

FL-JOE

We have the large 3-door LG frig in our new 2021 4006 Cyclone. When we took delivery the water supply was shut off to the ice maker. After leaving the dealership and getting on the road we installed the water filter and turned on the supply line. Water flooded the freezer compartment.

A call to the factory got us authorization to have an LG repair tech come to our RV. The tech came and inspected the frig but of course would not pull it. His "best guess" was that the solenoid at the rear of the frig was not operating and turning on and shutting off the water to the ice maker, but instead just letting it stay on. Tried to make a summer appointment at the factory to have frig pulled and fixed but they said it was not a "major" issue and we needed to use one of their dealers.

Anyway, the DW has been on a Heartland or a Heartland Cyclone FB site and it seems there are between 8 and 10 other owners out there with this exact same issue involving the ice makers on the new LG frigs. Anyone on here having the same issue, or better yet has anyone on here had the same issue and gotten it resolved?

Katcrab

Hi
I was wondering if you had found a fix for this issue yet. We just bought our 4270 and are having the same issue.

FL-JOE

If it is an LG residential frig you may have the same issue as another owner. I haven’t pulled my LG out yet but I am about 99% sure my problem is the same.

When they installed these they hooked up the water line to the wrong place, bypassing the pump/solenoid fixture at the rear bottom of the unit. Therefore, there is no way for the frig to control the water flow! I know this sounds pretty stupid but he pulled his and that was the case. He hooked his water line up correctly and his ice maker works great.

FL-JOE

The other member that told me about the issue with these LG ice makers was correct. If I hadn't observed it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

After being told by my factory rep that either the slide would have to be removed, or the kitchen island would have to be taken out, for the frig to be pulled, was inaccurate to say the least. The LG residential frig can be unsecured and pulled in the 2021 4006 easily to allow work at the rear of the unit.

My water line was connected to the upper frig water filter and from there they ran another water line directly down to the ice maker. I guess they didn't think it was important to use the very obvious water inlet on the pump/solenoid located at the lower part of the frig. The pump/solenoid of course tells the frig when to put water into the ice maker and when to shut it off.

Anyway, after a trip to Lowe's and getting a couple fittings along with about 6' of new water line I re-plumbed the frig correctly. The LG frig makes more ice than we will ever use!

FL-JOE

Great information!! Just found my weekend project. Thank you so much for posting
No problem Katcrab, but I can't take credit for finding this fix. If it wasn't for the other contributing member on here (ramcastle4006), I would have continued to believe the crap my factory service rep was feeding me. Good luck getting yours working and I think you will find it to be easypeasy. You will need a square head drive even though the screws don't look like it.

wdk450

Has Jim B. or someone else made sure this info has gotten to the Heartland Cyclone product manager???

Another failure of NOT doing at least a BASIC Q.A. test on Heartland RV's after manufacture. A waterless pressure system leakdown test on the freshwater plumbing system (like the one that should be done on the propane gas plumbing) would have caught this FLOODING issue on EVERY new Heartland RV with this model refrigerator .

FL-JOE

I really don't know who to talk to at the factory but in another month or so I need to either talk to someone or correspond with someone different. The representative for Cyclones I have been directed to is a really nice person but so far about 80% of the information she has provided is either totally false or simply made up (Beverly).

Since my dealer is over 1,000 miles away and local dealers don't have enough techs to do any warranty work within a reasonable time, I have had to correct all the factory mistakes myself. To make matters worse Heartland will not allow factory warranty appointments unless you have issues like total wall delamination or frame failure.

This is my first Heartland product but not my first rodeo with RV manufacturers warranties (owned new Keystones and Newmars). It could be a covid issue or it could be that Heartland just does not honor their 1 year factory warranties, I'm not sure. However, I will be presenting them with a bill for at least the material expenses I have had fixing their mistakes during this first year of ownership.

If anyone can direct me to a responsible official who could address these issues at the factory I would appreciate it very much. Obviously I'm not talking to one now.