SOLVED - No Hot water - Big country 2016

Thystra

I have a big country 2016 that I've been (mostly) full timing in. Last Friday I left and everything was fine, with the water heater on with 110v, gas off. Had been working fine all week. I came back Monday night and there was no hot water. The gas side/12v didn't seem to work. Further testing I caught it trying to light - there was gas flowing but no spark, then it shut off the gas. I was able to get it lit using a lighter, but it cuts out after a couple tries. No spark was observed.

I checked the troubleshooting guide and it appears I have newer/different equipment than what is shown. I've attached pictures of the water heater panel. I don't have the thermostat reset switches or a secondary switch that I can find.

Circuit breakers and fuses are fine. 2A fuse on the circuit board is good.

I'd appreciate any tips/advice that anyone has.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2016-01-19 18.46.23.jpg
    2016-01-19 18.46.23.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 2016-01-19 18.44.18.jpg
    2016-01-19 18.44.18.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 57

jbeletti

Re: No Hot water - Big country 2016

Couple of a quick questions:
1. Did you turn the main coach DC power switch off (if so equipped)?
2. Are you sure you have good 12 volt power and the battery has not been run down in your absence?
3. Are you on shore power?

Thystra

No, main DC power is not off (as far as I know). Things have worked on the inverter in the past.
Currently the rig is on shore power, and has remained plugged in (clock on microwave still set).

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, I don't have the manual for the water heater. Either the dealer didn't give it to me or it didn't come with one. It's not in the packet with all the other manuals. There is a card that indicates it is an Atwood 20 GPH quick recovery water heater.

jbeletti

No, main DC power is not off (as far as I know). Things have worked on the inverter in the past.
Currently the rig is on shore power, and has remained plugged in (clock on microwave still set).

OK - good.

1. So you are on shore power (confirmed by microwave)
2. You "should" have good DC power (assuming converter is working and 50 amp breaker is not tripped)*

* Do your lights all work well? What about the slide rooms? If the lights are dim and/or the slides won't operate well, please confirm the status of the 50 amp "manual" reset mini circuit breaker in the row of DC breakers (under the red rubber caps - maybe the 1st or 2nd one down). Press the reset button in if it's popped out - then try the water heater on AC power. I'm not sure about the Atwood W/H. Maybe the AC-powered side is DC-controlled.

I could be all wet on this - it's late :)

Thystra

Where are the DC breakers? I was unable to locate them earlier. All other lights and things work - furnace, fridge etc.

jbeletti

Where are the DC breakers? I was unable to locate them earlier. All other lights and things work - furnace, fridge etc.

Outside, try in the frontmost (under the overhang) storage cabinet (gen area) - often to the right (off door side) on the back wall.

I probably have you chasing a wild goose with this but may as well find the breaker and check it anyway now :)

jbeletti

Here again, I'm unfamiliar with the Atwood W/H, but on the Suburban, a good place to troubleshoot no hot water when using AC power heating is at the AC element at W/H. Unsure where this is at on the Atwood.

One more silly question - no one flipped the W/H Bypass Lever in the UDC did they?

Here's a link to our Atwood W/H document library.

Thystra

Bypass valve is in 'Normal'.

I think I found the DC breakers. They appear to be black boxes underneath 2 copper bus bars. Nothing I could see indicating a pop or abnormal condition. Battery switches are on.

Atwood 'Manual' - http://askforatwood.com/images/WaterHeaterServiceTri-Fold.pdf

Attachments

• 2016-01-19 20.38.57.jpg
    2016-01-19 20.38.57.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2016-01-19 20.38.52.jpg
    2016-01-19 20.38.52.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 31

jbeletti

Bypass valve is in 'Normal'.

I think I found the DC breakers. They appear to be black boxes underneath 2 copper bus bars. Nothing I could see indicating a pop or abnormal condition. Battery switches are on.

Atwood 'Manual' - http://askforatwood.com/images/WaterHeaterServiceTri-Fold.pdf

Image 1 is the breakers. Looks like the 2nd one down is the manual-resetting one. You have to get your finger tip under the wire on the left side of the breaker to feel the reset button. Whether it's popped or not, you should still be able to feel the button. If not, then move on until you find the right breaker. Once found, even if not tripped, you'll want to know what breaker it is as every now and then, it may trip on you. When it does, no DC power gets from the converter to the batteries for charging and no battery power gets to the system to provide the additional current needed at times.

Others who have Atwood W/Hs may be able to chime in here. C'mon Heartlanders - let's get this guy better ideas than mine :)

danemayer

Hi Thystra,

Since your unit is failing on both electric and propane operation, there's probably a failure on some common element. The thermostat and thermal cutoff are common to both operations, as is the control board. 12V DC is required for both operations.

I've attached a wiring diagram that might be a match to your unit. In the bottom left corner of the diagram, there's a relay that closes the 120V AC circuit to the electric element. If you can locate that relay, you may be able to check for 120V coming in, and 12V DC to the relay.

Another point to check would be 12V DC at the thermostat on the water heater.

Attachments

• Atwood Water Heater Wiring2.pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 17