SOLVED: Residential Fridge problem

Hunter11

Re: Inverter for fridge problem

Dan, I might try this some time over the weekend when it is cooler out and I won't have to cool the trailer back down but I can tell you when we tried to use ours on the way back from Elkhart on the inverter we had not even turned the ice maker on yet. We did not do that until we got home and got setup.

porthole

Retired

We talked to Heartland this morning along with Magnum. It appears that the inverter is not sufficient enough to run the fridge. The main problem is the amperage the ice maker draws. Engineers from both companies are working on a solution. Stay tuned as we give them some time to work out a solution.

Thanks
Jeff

1000 watt inverter running at 90 % efficiency (quality units like the Magnum) and a fridge drawing 800-900 watts? And efficiency drops as the temps and load go up.
From the beginning they were undersized

Hunter11

Ok we let it get dark so it cooled down some and we could shut the AC's down to test the inverter. Ice maker shutdown I disconnected the shore power and switched the fridge over to the inverter. I timed it and it shutdown at 36 seconds. I don't hold much hope for the 1000 watt inverter they sent to replace the same one that is installed in the trailer but I am willing to give it a chance.

aRAYwego

I'm pretty sure it's not gonna make a difference since it didn't on mine but we can always hope. Like I said before I think HL is trying to compile as much info as they can on this while theirs and Magnums engineers work on a solution. If the new inverter doesn't work I would have the mobile tech take as many readings as possible so you can relay that info to HL when or if you have to move towards another solution. My service mgr told me that HL asked many questions about input/output voltages, wire routing/lengths and so on to be sure every conceivable cause was eliminated. Once sure, they authorized the higher wattage inverter. Keep the positive thoughts rolling as I am sure HL will get you taken care of.

danemayer

The reason I suggested testing with ice maker turned off and posting results is to help speed things up. If, as Jeff posted, Heartland and Magnum think the failure primarily occurs because of the ice maker, and 5 people test and find it makes no difference, that'll help get them to the right answer faster. If it does make a difference, that'll help them confirm their theory and get to the right answer faster.

Hunter11

Just an update on this issue, the mobile tech was out today and he installed the new Magnum 1000 watt inverter Heartland sent to try and the same results. The fridge says it pulls 8.5 amps while running and the inverter is rated at 8.3 amps. The tech did some figuring and he thinks the fridge is pulling 1020 to 1050 watts just normal running so the surge would be 20% to 30% more when it kicks on. I called Heartland back and right now they are at a loss but they are talking to Magnum. The person I talked to said they would probably end up sending me a larger capacity inverter. So that is where that issue stands.

evolvingpowercat

Keep in mind if the inverter size is increased the 12 volt fuse and 12 volt wire size between the battery bank and the inverter will likely both be under-sized and need to be increased too. Not sure what the point of running a huge residential refrigerator in a Landmark off an inverter is, if it draws that kind of load the amount of time it would run off batteries when traveling on the road would be a problem. I assume the guide says you MUST have the refrigerator at its cold operating temperature before traveling so that its not a continuous load just a cycling on and off load to maintain the cold temp.

alethaj

This is all just totally unacceptable....we have not had this problem as we still don't have a replacement fridge yet...should be able to get it installed tomorrow or Wed. This is going to be something we are going to test before we leave the dealership...If Heartland knows of this problem why are they continuing to put the undersized inverter in...now I really want to get a generator installed...I can't be worring about the milk going bad as we go down the road..this is not a happy start to Heartland ownership

danemayer

I have no doubt that when the collection of devices was originally put together, it worked without problems. Something has changed.
I'm sure they'll get to the root cause and take appropriate corrective action.

dlmrcon

starting amps?

First time poster. .might want to check the starting amps on the fridge. My Samsung draws 12.3 amps on startup. That's close to 1500 watts and most 1000 watt inverters won't run that long enough to start the compressor and go into an error condition.

Hunter11

Re: starting amps?

First time poster. .might want to check the starting amps on the fridge. My Samsung draws 12.3 amps on startup. That's close to 1500 watts and most 1000 watt inverters won't run that long enough to start the compressor and go into an error condition.

This is what the mobile RV tech told me yesterday. By the numbers the inverter is maxed out just running the fridge but when the compressor kicks on it overloads it and shuts it down. All we can do is what for a fix but I did tell them we had a couple of trips coming up in the next 30 days so we would need some way to keep the fridge running while we travel.

aRAYwego

alethaj:367029 said:
This is all just totally unacceptable....we have not had this problem as we still don't have a replacement fridge yet...should be able to get it installed tomorrow or Wed. This is going to be something we are going to test before we leave the dealership...If Heartland knows of this problem why are they continuing to put the undersized inverter in...now I really want to get a generator installed...I can't be worring about the milk going bad as we go down the road..this is not a happy start to Heartland ownership

I have recently taken an 8 hour trip and a 5 hour trip and my refer ran perfectly with the 2000 watt inverter. I am confident they will get this issue figured out and adjust accordingly.

scottyb

That seems like an awful lot of amps. That's almost as much as an AC. I don't see any way you could manage this draw with just one 12V battery, even if it is dedicated only to the fridge. I read on another site where it only draws 5A, but I can't seem to find any official technical specs for the 197. This is what I want to do when my Norcold gives me problems.

dlmrcon

That seems like an awful lot of amps. That's almost as much as an AC. I don't see any way you could manage this draw with just one 12V battery, even if it is dedicated only to the fridge. I read on another site where it only draws 5A, but I can't seem to find any official technical specs for the 197. This is what I want to do when my Norcold gives me problems.

Sure does, inductive loads (ones with coils) can draw from 2.6 to 8 times the rated amperage on startup. This is only for a short time usually a few seconds just to start. Many 1000 watt inverters won't handle that load for that time. The average power consumption is very low so it will actually work well with boondocking if your inverter will start it.

rod_s

The residential refrigerator/inverter option has 2 batteries connected in parallel so you have a good amount of stored 12 volt DC power available to power the inverter. If you look strictly at the startup or normal draw amperage of the refrigerator it looks like the batteries would drain quickly however (and I have never timed mine) the compressor on the fridge only runs 10 -15 minutes per hour after reaching operating temperature. When the compressor is off the draw is very little. If you are not opening the doors it will not be a constant drain. This system will work for day travel or other situations where a generator can recharge daily. I do not expect to use it for anything other than travel once the problem is resolved.

I would like to add that our Bighorn which is set up full time in campground with the refrigerator running 24-7 produces a monthly electric bill which is 1/3 less from our previous electric/gas fridge in a SOB camper.

swiftk77

Any idea how long will need to run my Onan 5500 to recharge my batteries daily? I have the res fridge in my Gateway 3650BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter11

My understanding is if your TV is setup to charge the trailer battery/batteries then running down the road it should be charging them allowing the fridge to run off them while you travel and keep them charged. Once the fridge is running on the inverter I see no reason why the TV would not keep the batteries charged the entire time you are on the road.

RichardC

I purchased a 2015 Bighorn and my fridge will not run off the inverter for more than 20 seconds... I am out of luck unless you can wait months for Camping World to look at it and several more months to order parts if necessary... we just don't use our fridge off battery and share our experiences with anyone interested...