SOLVED: Tra'vler 1000 dish network LNB arm

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
We've been having issues with our tv having complete signal loss from dish network. We had a Dish tech out. He replaced our dvr and the node. We still had issues, so he determined it was the Tra'vler lnb's. He is not authorized to work on the Tra'vler, so could not fix the problem.

Has anyone replaced the LNB arm of the tra'vler? Where did you get the part?

Thanks!

rcofd2

Re: Tra'vler 1000 dish network LNB arm

Hi, have you gone up on the roof and changed the cable to one of the other ports next to it, there should be three, one of my ports stopped working, changed to one of the other ones and worked fine.

nander

Hi, have you gone up on the roof and changed the cable to one of the other ports next to it, there should be three, one of my ports stopped working, changed to one of the other ones and worked fine.

No, but we will! Thanks!

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member

I order my satellite parts from Solid Signal, here is the LNB you need. First swap the cables between port 2 and 3 on the LNB to see if you can get it working.

hybrid_lnb_install_01_text.jpg

Terry H

Staff member

Also check your jumper cable connections in the UDC.

nander

Also check your jumper cable connections in the UDC.

OK, Dave went on the roof and there is no open connection on the trav'ler to move the coax to. Two cables go to the node, which was replaced. Are you saying swap those two cables? If not, where is the connection we should be moving?

Since the satellite has been working fine since the Dish tech connected the temporary antennae, that tells me the coax in the trailer is good.

Terry H

Staff member

OK, Dave went on the roof and there is no open connection on the trav'ler to move the coax to. Two cables go to the node, which was replaced. Are you saying swap those two cables? If not, where is the connection we should be moving?

Since the satellite has been working fine since the Dish tech connected the temporary antennae, that tells me the coax in the trailer is good.
Call me, I will help you figure it out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

busted2341

Interesting that you were told the LNB's were the problem. In June of 1016, I was told I had to replace my GM-1518, by Dish & Winegard, Antenna because of a software update. I was only getting 1/2 of my channels which they attributed to the update. I was told by Winegard they would update my GM-1518 for about $250 plus shipping by them or buy a new antenna. Well I optioned for the new Antenna, a dish PlayMaker, since we are on the road and I can't wait 3 weeks for Winegard. My Winegard was already 4 years old but worked great. With the new Dish I have the same problem with losing signal on a clear day at different times and I have the PlayMaker which I have attached to my ladder just above the roof line. I too have checked every connection and found no problem so I had a dish tech come out. keep in mind that my auto antenna is in a dome and its auto finding. The set up is really fast and it works but intermittently looses signal, then comes back on. My antenna moves to each satellite because it only has one LNB and we can hear it move to hit the new Sat when we change channels. After an hour on the rig the tech also determined my LNB was bad. When I asked how that can be since it works 98% of the time, and it lost signal for about 3 seconds when he was here and then locked back on he had no answer other than it must be the LNB. Well I replaced the LNB and guess what, same problem continues. The only thing I can come up with is a software problem. I never had an issue with anything until I received a software update. We now just put up with lost signal 11-12-11 for a few seconds at varying times of ONLY during around 10 a.m. and the mid afternoon. I just gave up! They don't know why and I can't figure it out without buying a new antenna. If you find out something, please let us know!

nander

We bought new lnb's. It seemed to work, then bam, no signal. It works fine with the temporary dish, but not with the trav'ler.
Dave is not a happy camper. The switch will not lock on to the satellites.

Guess we'll be looking for a new antenna. :mad:

Terry H

Staff member

Call Winegard Tech Line at [FONT=&quot]Phone: 800-788-4417. Tell them what is happening, hopefully they can tell you if the issue is with the [/FONT][FONT=Droid Serif, sans-serif]Traveler and provide a solution.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Tech Line Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CST [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] & Sat 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. CST[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=Droid Serif, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

nander

Call Winegard Tech Line at Phone: 800-788-4417. Tell them what is happening, hopefully they can tell you if the issue is with the Traveler and provide a solution.

Tech Line Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CST
& Sat 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. CST

Thanks, Terry! I'll call them Tuesday, as they are closed for the holiday.

nander

UPDATE:
I called Winegard Tech Support. After numerous steps, it was determined the problem is the turret. Since it's over 4 years old and out of warranty, we can send it in for repair or buy a new trav'ler. :mad: We are able to watch tv, but when we leave this location, Dave has to go on the roof and put everything back together in order to stow it. When we get to a new location, he can go back on the roof and take it apart. Ugghhh! I have looked for a new turret, but can't find one.

Not sure what we'll do yet.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

UPDATE:
I called Winegard Tech Support. After numerous steps, it was determined the problem is the turret. Since it's over 4 years old and out of warranty, we can send it in for repair or buy a new trav'ler. :mad: We are able to watch tv, but when we leave this location, Dave has to go on the roof and put everything back together in order to stow it. When we get to a new location, he can go back on the roof and take it apart. Ugghhh! I have looked for a new turret, but can't find one.

Not sure what we'll do yet.

Time for a new Landmark?!?!? :rolleyes:

danemayer

Any chance this is what you need? It says new with slight damage, so you'd have to find out what the damage is and whether this will work for you. If not, maybe they have what you need.

nander

Any chance this is what you need? It says new with slight damage, so you'd have to find out what the damage is and whether this will work for you. If not, maybe they have what you need.

Hi Dan, that's what we need but its the wrong model number. :( We need an SM-0022. I never thought to look on ebay.
Thanks!!

BigJim45

Luv'n Life

Dave....

I had the same thing happen to me but under warranty. I would suggest calling Winegard back and asking about maybe a factory refurbished turret if they have them, if not, cost of a new one.

nander

Dave....

I had the same thing happen to me but under warranty. I would suggest calling Winegard back and asking about maybe a factory refurbished turret if they have them, if not, cost of a new one.

Thanks! I contacted Winegard and they do not sell refurbished turrets. They only sell new ones for $875. That's cheaper than a new system. Since the 'brains' of the trav'ler are in the turret, the cost is high.

For the moment, Dave has tv, but we will be ordering a new turret.

Thanks for all the help!

Nightshifter

I may be able to add a little inside to this. I had a three week old winegard traveler and it quit working. Discovered that the bulkhead cable connections on the top of the turret had compromised o rings on the inside of the turret. There are three of the fittings on the top of the turret. One of the o rings was torn when it was assembled at the factory thus allowing water to enter and follow the cable right into the main control board. Shorted it out. With diligence and persistence I was able to get the company to send me a complete turret assembly instead of rebuilding mine. Installed it and sent the old one back to them. I had taken pics and documented the issue with winegard. I can post the pics if you want.

nander

Re: Tra'vler 1000 dish network LNB arm - FIXED

UPDATE:
We ordered a new turret from Winegard and had the same problem.
I contacted technical support and they thought the sheath cable was bad from the lnb to the turret.
I ordered a new sheath cable.

We installed it today on the old turret and it worked! Winegard will let me return the new turret for a full refund.

Lesson: Always check the cables first. I thought we had tested them with support. Anyway, we purchased a coax tester and found 2 of the 3 cables were bad.

Kudos to Winegard customer support.