South Dakota Camping

Piperflyer

Anybody have a recommendation of a few good camp grounds they have stayed in around the Hill City or Rapid City Area of South Dakota?
I'll be pulling a 42' rig and I am looking for a place that is easy in-out with all the services.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have stayed at Rafter J Bar several times and will always try to book there.
We have also stayed at Crooked Creek when Rafter J Bar was full. We were in the overflow area which the guy called his mother in-law site.
It was actually a very nice site right on the creek.
If I couldn't book RJB I will definitely go for the mother in-law site at CC.
If you haven't booked yet don't delay. They fill up fast around there.
I have also heard good things about Custer State Park CGs.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stayed at Big Pine Campground about a mile west of downtown Custer a couple of years ago.

http://www.bigpinecampground.com/smaltolarg/photos.html

The whole place is in the shade and the owners were awesome!

Plus, it is close enough to town that if you need anything you've only got a couple of minutes drive.

We will stay there again when we go up that way (thinking maybe summer 2017).

Like has been already mentioned . . . book now as the campgrounds up their book out fast!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg

mayflower

We stayed at Hart Ranch RV Resort near Rapid City last fall. It was fabulous. Recommend it highly. Close to everything you want to see while in South Dakota.

Jim-Lynn

Have been to South Dakota quite a few times, Ranch RV is ok. Big Pine is really nice as well, we have even stayed at the KOA Rapid City & it was "ok". All could accomidate our Cyclone. Good luck & I am sure you will be treated well.
Jim