Southeast TX to WV

MLB

Hello all. Brand new to pretty much any forum so patience would be appreciated. We are new to the fifth wheel way of life as well and are making some “in state“ trips ( we do live in Texas, so “in state” can mean 10 hours in any direction). My wife and I are looking to go to ”The Hatfield-McCoy Trails” in WV this coming fall and would like any recommendations from anyone that has possibly made that trip. We live between Houston and Austin if anyone has any knowledge of that area. Thanks for any advice or recommendations from anyone along that route.

david-steph2018

We were just at Lake Conroe in Willis, yesterday. Today we are in Medina Lakes which is NW of San Antonio. I was considering running 105 to 290 to Austin then down to Medina Lakes, but the individual a day before us called and told me traffic on 290 was bad. So, I ran I-10 west.
But to answer your question if you run:
Looking at the map for the HMT they are located around Charleston and south close to Bluefield. Assuming you are close to 105 you could:

105 all the way to Cleveland then picked up 59 north -
Texarkana pick up 30 east to Little Rock then 40 east -
40 east to Nashville at Nashville you could either east on 40 or go north on 65 -
east on 40 go to Knoxville pick up 81 north to 77 north looking on the map the southern trails start around Bluefield, WV.
but if you want to go to the north end first around Charleston -
Nashville - 65 north to the Bluegrass Parkway east to Lexington to I-64 east -
64 east to Charleston, WV.
Whenever we come south to Texas from Cincinnati area, we run the route to Nashville from Lexington to go to Lake Conroe.

MLB

Thank you for you’re reply. I had loosely planned pretty much that route already so I’m glad I’m on the right page. I was actually interested in camps along the route and things to do or see to break up the trip. I traveled coast to coast years ago driving a big truck but again, that was years ago. We have looked at several stops (“we” being my wife) along the way and being new to traveling this way we just wanted to get an idea of any places ( camps/ attractions etc.) to possibly avoid. Thanks again for the advice and reply.

david-steph2018

There is a nice COE park, Wright-Patman Lake, south of Texarkana on 59. Then if you want to stay near Memphis there is another park, Tom Sawyers RV Park. East of there on I-40 is a KOA called Buffalo at Hurricane Mills. A few miles north of there is Lorretta Lynn's ranch, nice little place.
If you go near Pigeon Forge, TN. off of I-40, is allot of shopping areas. Also, it is at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains NP, really nice stop over. We are planning on going back to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg in the fall so wife can restock her wine supply.

If you get to Nashville and decide to head north on I-65 and over to Lexington. Plan on stopping at Kentucky Horse Park, well worth it if you like horses.

MLB

Wonderful information! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the reply. I’ll pass it along to the trip planner!

david-steph2018

For planning trips, I use RV Trip Wizard. I like it because you can input your RV information and select what type of RV parks, fuel stops you want. With the RV information it provides routes to avoid low bridges, low clearance, etc...