Spring / suspension opinions wanted

Jim Posz

We have a 2014 3310CL Sundance 5th wheel which has been towed about 47,000 miles. We have the stock #6000 axles, Dexter rubber spring equalizers, and disc brake upgrade. The truck has a Hensley Trailer Saver TS3 air ride hitch.

We recently returned from a trip to Alaska; put about 11,000 miles on the trailer. Great scenery, great wildlife, interesting history - and rough roads.

We had 3 broken springs on this trip. They broke one at a time over 1000 miles apart, and never the same one twice. The first I had replaced in a shop, while the 2nd and 3rd I did myself. Changed out the last original after we got home. The replacements are the same size and capacity as the originals.

I have had a couple of different thoughts about this. The first is to look into some sort of suspension upgrade, possibly even the IS system - while the second is to look at this as a wear issue and figure I'm good for another 40,000 miles on these new springs before I need to think about it again. The folks in Alaska and Yukon Territory seem to consider spring replacement a pretty routine deal, and the parts came off the shelf from Anchorage and Whitehorse parts stores. My rig apparently has stock size and capacity springs which did not need to come from Lippert or an RV shop.

I would like to hear from some folks with knowledge and opinions on which way I should go on this.
Thanks, Jim

PS Put on a new set of the Goodyear Endurance ST tires before this trip, and they worked out well.

jbeletti

JIm - the Sundance is light. Not sure I'd put IS on it, though it's a nice way to eliminate axles and springs and attendant issues with them. I suggest you replace that 4th spring pack, replace the equalizer and upgrade the shackles to thicker HD ones with greasable bolts.

MikeR

I replaced the suspension on my 2014 Big Country with both the Liberty Rider and Joy Rider systems. Our BC has a rear kitchen and was getting beat up pretty bad because of the stock suspension. The difference is remarkable. I also upgraded the new springs from 6000 to 7000 pounds. The springs are a better quality also. Made in the USA. The added shocks that actually work, compared to the factory shocks make a big difference. Google both products for all of the details.