Springs

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

2021 - Goshen Rally - Bring Your Own and Golf Cart Rentals

Here are the old 7k and the new 8k from another rig.

You can see the 2nd spring from the top is added.

a8073ee3d023ea502a173524d726e33a.jpg

9773e5419a60057ef9c2be1ab8dc9747.jpg

danemayer

Might have been a bad batch. You might call Dexter and see if they'll send you replacements for free. I seem to remember something about a 5 year warranty, but I'm not sure when it started or just what it includes.

Dahillbilly

the 8k springs will carry more weight than the 7k for sure. One drawback to the 8k springs is the rv will ride rougher which may lead to other problems within the rv. All springs will flatten out over time, faster when overloaded! My two cents worth

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
About 8 years and many miles, ago I replaced my 7k springs with 8k.
I've noticed no difference in the ride. The coffee pot is still on the counter top where we left it.
One thing to keep in mind is that you will still have 7k axles.
I would install 8k springs.

Peace
Dave

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
About 8 years and many miles, ago I replaced my 7k springs with 8k.
I've noticed no difference in the ride. The coffee pot is still on the counter top where we left it.
One thing to keep in mind is that you will still have 7k axles.
I would install 8k springs.

Peace
Dave

Thank you for the reply. I had the thought of doing this since we have so much riding behind the axles, but didn't think it was a wise decision. We have done about 14K miles every year for the last 4. It just seems like all that bouncing has wore out what we have.

Matt750

Also, Dexter has 2 different versions of the 7k axle. The difference is between the wall thickness. I can’t remember what the actual measurements are, but one is thinner than the other, and the thicker of the two I believe is the same axle thickness as the 8k axles. I know you’re discussing leaf springs, but just thought I would throw that out there.

I noticed our tires were wearing funny on our ‘19 CY 4007. I took it to an alignment shop and they discovered (and showed me) that all three axles were bent. I have weighed and I’m not overweight (truck & trailer we’re talking about...). I called Dexter and gave them the numbers off of the axles. That’s when I discovered they had two different versions of the 7k axle. Ours had the thinner wall version. Long story short, they sent 3 new axles to the alignment shop. I requested the “heavy wall” version & you could definitely tell a difference between the two when picking them up! Axles under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

I have 7K axles and the springs are flattened out. Is there a better option than Dexter replacements out there?

if you go with the 8 k springs you will need new longer U bolts....8 k have an additional leaf.
I upgraded mine to 8 k due to the originals flattening out ,which caused axles to be out of alignment.
I experienced no difference in ride or handling of unit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
if you go with the 8 k springs you will need new longer U bolts....8 k have an additional leaf.
I experienced no difference in ride or handling of unit.
You are correct, thanks. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. Longer U bolts are needed.

Peace
Dave

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Yes

Well lets ask the question

)what is the weight on your RV axles ? Our Landmark was about 14600 on 2 8K trailer axles with 8K springs. I had all 4 springs break at 4 different times over the first 4 years.

Last we checked we were right at 13000 on the 2 7k axles. Total weight is 16500. We have lots of outside storage in the rear but have very little weight there. Heartland has been unable to tell us how much weight the rear storage can safely handle. While the living room to the front rides smooth, that rear end does not and will even throw pillows off of the couches. Lots of bounce.

centerline

Last we checked we were right at 13000 on the 2 7k axles. Total weight is 16500. We have lots of outside storage in the rear but have very little weight there. Heartland has been unable to tell us how much weight the rear storage can safely handle. While the living room to the front rides smooth, that rear end does not and will even throw pillows off of the couches. Lots of bounce.

keep in mind that the "weight rating" and "spring rate" are not the same... and the weight rating is the maximum recommended weight on smooth roads....
you are so close to the maximum that if you were to hit a hard bump, the 7k springs would be "shock" loaded well beyond the weight rating of the spring, which is a more severe and damaging load than if the 7k springs were to be loaded with 8k and driven down a new smooth, bump free highway.....

yes, too stiff of spring and the trailer will ride rough, but with the load you are carrying, 8k springs wont be too much....

if you dont notice a harsher ride with the 8k springs, then they are what you should be using, and the trailer will tow better at the higher speeds and stand up better going around corners, rather than leaning to the outside as you go around the corner.... some of us need this, as we like to drive a little faster than others.