Stabilizers too close to ground - suggestions please!!!!

RanCarr

We've only gone camping three times with our new 28BRS NorthTrail and both rear stabilizers have hit the ground and are now bent. They'll most likely have to be replaced at $70 each = $140. :( They're so close to the ground it's not possible to NOT hit the earth or road in campgrounds since they're not all level like city streets. It doesn't seem to take much to twist and bend them. The whole trailer seems closer to the ground than both our other travel trailers were. We never bent the rear stabilizers on those TTs. What can we do about this? We can't afford to replace them every other time we go camping. The spare tire, under the hitch V is also too close to the ground and has dragged already. Any suggestions? Please.... we're desperate for help with this. We camp pretty often. My spouse is going to call Heartland tomorrow but I can't see them offering to replace the stabilizers.

caissiel

I would move them ahead a bit so as the frame hits first, and possibly install draging rollers on the bumper are.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Something doesn't sound right. Is your rig sitting level when hitched to the TV?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here is a link for SKID WHEELS that can be added to the rear frame to prevent damage to the stabilizers. For the spare tire, can it be moved to a rear bumper mount?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hate to sound negative, but we have several friends with North Trails and they don't have this problem. Seems that the trailer would have to be sitting unlevel on the hitch to have the rear end close enough to the ground to hit every time you take it out. If it is level, then take it back to the dealer and see if they will move them forward.

RanCarr

Hate to sound negative, but we have several friends with North Trails and they don't have this problem. Seems that the trailer would have to be sitting unlevel on the hitch to have the rear end close enough to the ground to hit every time you take it out. If it is level, then take it back to the dealer and see if they will move them forward.

Hi and thanks for replying. Unfortunately the campgrounds we've been to aren't all level like city streets. They most often have ruts, higher areas, bumps or dips where the site joins the campground road etc. Our other two TTs never bottomed out and their spares were not close to the ground. Perhaps your friends with NorthTrails only camp where it's dead level such as in some Resorts that are paved throughout. But those are not the places we choose to camp. We level the TT when we park it so the hitch is level. The spare tire drags when the campground sites and roads are not level. It's situated under the V shaped hitch.

Other than this everything is fine with the Trailer. Everything works great. :D For better ventilation we added a Maxxair fan in the bathroom and two of those vents in each of the larger windows. It's a shame they stopped using those great jalousie/louver crank windows. :(

We replaced the bent stabilizers today. Two per box, on sale for $69 at Camping World. We may not attach them to the bottom of the TT but use them like the old time jacks. Their heavier duty than what came with the trailer and we don't want them ruined.

RanCarr

Here is a link for SKID WHEELS that can be added to the rear frame to prevent damage to the stabilizers. For the spare tire, can it be moved to a rear bumper mount?

Thank you for this information. We will most likely add some kind of skid wheels to the back. This TT is closer to the ground than we're used to. They would have to be longer than these though, as the stabilizers were quite low. It doesn't take much for them to hit the ground in the campgrounds. We're going to have to look into moving that tire also. I've noticed this past camping trip that many campsites are slightly below the grade of the paved roads. There's a slight dip between the macadam and the gravel site. I suppose the earth sinks or is packed down over time under the gravel. The campground we're going to next month is great for this and there are ruts also. It's a COE on a lake and a great place to spend a weekend or even a week or two.

RanCarr

Something doesn't sound right. Is your rig sitting level when hitched to the TV?

It definitely is level when being towed. We have a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar. She pulls straight and true. She's level with the also level GMC she's towed with. As I said earlier, the campgrounds are not paved like parking lots here in TN. Some gas stations also have a steep entry and exit. :( We don't camp in paved parking lot like Resorts. Please see other posts. We're not newbies so know better than to tow a trailer that's not level. :)

The answer seems to be to try and move the spare tire, but to where? Because of the slide-out "bike" rack on our BRS, which we will use when on longer trips, we can't put it there. Under the TT, where it would be reachable in the rear, is out, or it will be just as close to the ground. So for now it looks like it will have to stay where it is. I hope the bottom of the thing it hangs from isn't damaged when it scrapes the ground.

I was just advised by my spouse that the new stabilizers wont be attached, but used like a portable jack. This will give more space under the TT when the sites and roads in the campgrounds are not paved and level. Tractor supply by us carries these heavy duty skid wheels. We're going to take a look at them before our next trip. :)

RanCarr

This was the 1st camping trip with the BRS in early April. We had terrific storms the entire weekend and the campground lost the electricity. We really got to rest up and catch up with our reading. :) We have our own little library under the TV for just such happenings. We travel with our three cats. Here we were setting up at Seven Points near Nashville TN. It was a sunny beautiful day. Note the vertical vent in the window. Then the storms came that evening.

IM003038.jpg

RanCarr

I would move them ahead a bit so as the frame hits first, and possibly install draging rollers on the bumper are.

We looked under the rear end and can't add rollers anywhere helpful because of the slideout behind the trailer for bicycles or boxes. We'll just keep use the stabilizers like jacks to give us more clearance in the rear. We'll keep 'em in the cubby.