Starlink goes for Mobile Authorization

ILH

spacex-starlink-fcc-internet-cars-boats-aircraft

Intertesting to see Starlink applay to the FCC for mobile operation. I have been pre approved for stationary operation here in Canada. At $130 a month CAD this is a great way to access internet while mobile.

That's interesting. While still expensive, if it is truly as fast as advertised, and mobile regardless of travel, it might be worth the look. I'm so tired of poor or non-existent internet at RV parks.

Roller4tan

My understanding of satellite internet is similar to satellite tv. The signal is broadcast to a "footprint" of about 250 to 300 mile circle. If you move out of that circle the signal is diminished or nonexistent.

My 2 cents

wdk450

My understanding of satellite internet is similar to satellite tv. The signal is broadcast to a "footprint" of about 250 to 300 mile circle. If you move out of that circle the signal is diminished or nonexistent.

My 2 cents

There are thousands of the dinner plate sized Starlink Satellites now in orbit. Those 250 mile circular earth "footprints" are designed to overlap on the Earth, much as mobile telephone cell tower signal signal areas do. The Wikipedia article mentions that the system is designed to work on a train, and has been tested in aircraft by the US Air Force. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink

I'm interested in seeing how this works out. It will be a real treat for people that live in rural locations. I have a friend in the woods in SW Colorado that is beta testing the stationary Starlink system. He gets speeds faster than my high-speed cable modem. There are a few small time gaps in his coverage since the constellation isn't complete. Once it is built out it should be fantastic-- especially since his cabin is in an area that can't get any other type of high-speed internet. Having it available for travel, even if not while in motion, would be pretty nice. For now, my wife who works from our home, has to use wireless 4G LTE data hotspot for her work.

jbeletti

I replied to my Starlink invitation for service in Texas and now just waiting for the final go to get equipment. Maybe this summer :)

CDN

B and B
We do not have WiFi anywhere we go. Rely on cell internet often 3g but a fast 3g! Email and social media use. We do camp in the trees but can find holes for satellite access. This is a game changer opening up the north for extended stays and for work @ camp.