Started stinking all of a sudden?

sengli

Well we have had our landmark for several years now. This spring, I smelled the odor of propane pretty bad, only on one side of the RV. On closer inspection, I found one of the OE brass fittings on the regulator was cracked from being over tightened. It was a spiral crack in the brass input fitting going into the aluminum casting of the regulator. These brass input fittings are pre-installed from the regulators factory. I Could not extract that defective fitting, it was loctited into the casting of the regulator. Had to buy a entire new regulator.

Bought a sniffer to check everything, occasionally now.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

wdk450

For those that don't want to put out the money for a propane gas electronic sniffer, I have used a propane tank volume (pressure) gauge to do a leakdown test. propane tank gauge.jpg

To do the test: 1) Turn off 1 tank valve, disconnect hose and connect tank gauge inline with the hose. 2) Reconnect the gauge and hose to the tank. 3) Turn on the tank valve to pressurize the system, and note the gauge needle position. 4) Turn off the tank valve. 5) Watch the gauge needle for about 5 minutes to see that it doesn't go down indicating a leak in the propane piping system.