Starting from scratch: Solar system to boondock with

I'm looking to install a solar system that has the ability to run everything on our rig full time in all seasons. I have a 2011 Cyclone, have removed the microwave, 2 TV's and replaced all bulbs with LEDs, I carry a small 7cf freezer in the garage along with a small dorm room type fridge. I know solar technology and capabilities is changing rapidly, my questions are: 1) Is this possible, 2) How much will it cost, and 3) Does anyone have or know of a system that will accomplish this?
Any advice or information is greatly appreciated!

Bogie

my questions are: 1) Is this possible, 2) How much will it cost, and 3) Does anyone have or know of a system that will accomplish this?
There is no simple answer to this.

1. Possible? Well yes. Anything is possible. But that has to be tempered with the size of the system you need/want and the number of Kilowatt Hours you need over a 24 hr period, how much you are willing to spend, how much space you have for solar panels (roof or otherwise) and if you are expecting to operate in the winter when the amount of sun is less than in the summer.

2. Cost depends on several factors. System size of course. But, are you going to do it yourself or have someone else do it?

3. If you are looking for a "system in a box" type of set up, there are such things available. But they come at a cost. You would have to search the internet. You can find an example of such systems HERE (I'm not recommending this site. It's only an example). Or you can hire someone to install a system for you.

If you are planning on doing it yourself, you have to educate yourself as to how to size a system in terms of Kilowatt Hours needed. Then you have to educate yourself on how to install it. If you have no electrical background, I would suggest you have someone else do it. If you are competent working on electrical systems, you can start your education on solar systems on Will Prowse's Youtube channel. It's very informative and you can learn a lot about solar panels, batteries, inverters, etc. as well as recommend sources . Check it out HERE. Will Prowse also has a Forum you can join where you can ask questions. There also several forums on Facebook. Also you can check out the posts in this section of the Forum. Many have installed Solar systems.

There is no simple answer to this.

1. Possible? Well yes. Anything is possible. But that has to be tempered with the size of the system you need/want and the number of Kilowatt Hours you need over a 24 hr period, how much you are willing to spend, how much space you have for solar panels (roof or otherwise) and if you are expecting to operate in the winter when the amount of sun is less than in the summer.

2. Cost depends on several factors. System size of course. But, are you going to do it yourself or have someone else do it?

3. If you are looking for a "system in a box" type of set up, there are such things available. But they come at a cost. You would have to search the internet. You can find an example of such systems HERE (I'm not recommending this site. It's only an example). Or you can hire someone to install a system for you.

If you are planning on doing it yourself, you have to educate yourself as to how to size a system in terms of Kilowatt Hours needed. Then you have to educate yourself on how to install it. If you have no electrical background, I would suggest you have someone else do it. If you are competent working on electrical systems, you can start your education on solar systems on Will Prowse's Youtube channel. It's very informative and you can learn a lot about solar panels, batteries, inverters, etc. as well as recommend sources . Check it out HERE. Will Prowse also has a Forum you can join where you can ask questions. There also several forums on Facebook. Also you can check out the posts in this section of the Forum. Many have installed Solar systems.
Thanks for the info Bogie, To answer some of your questions: I have a lot of roof space, I think it should be enough. I do plan to operate it year round, so it will need to be efficient enough to charge on short winter days. I plan to do the install myself, I have a lot of mechanical and electrical experience, just no solar knowledge. I will check out the sites and resources you mentioned.

I would like to have the ability to run AC for a few hours on really hot days, but we try to avoid the intense heat.

diddlyv

figure out the kilowatt your Alternating Current devices need Which items will be used simultaneously. The time those items will be run per day. The Max Kilowatt draw will tell you the size inverter you need. The Kilowatt hours times the number of hours per 24 hours will tell you the 120 volt watts you will need. Do the same thing for the 12 volt loads add that to the 120 volt watts. The total watts divided by 12 p will tell you the approximate number of 12 volt amps your batteries must be able to produce per day. Take that times the number of days of no sun you think you need to live with. I probably would not go more than 2. The number of watts per day with say times 1.25 or 1.5 fudge factor for overcast should tell you the watts your panels must produce per day. Worst case scenario buy a generator capable of running the AC as a back up for the solar.