Stop the Rocking

Dtaylor52

Our Wilderness, like other lightweight TT in the Heartland lineup use the Wide Trac axles, which make for great towing. The downside is when looking at products like Bal X-chock and others between the tire devices, they become costly. I have seen those made from 4x4 blocks, and they work, but can take up valuable space. Below is a set I made from 1 inch square tubing. They are lightweight, easy to install, and require little room. Most importantly, they work! I no longer feel like I am going to fall out of the shower because the wife rolled over in bed.

priorguy

Looks great. How much for a pair? Or could you just post some measurements. Nice slick design and won't need much storage space.

Dtaylor52

Looks great. How much for a pair? Or could you just post some measurements. Nice slick design and won't need much storage space.

The cross piece is 16 inches cut on a 20 degree angle. Two 4 inch pieces are welded to the angle. All made from 14 gauge 1 inch steel tubing. The threaded rod is a 7/16 rod about 15 inches long

priorguy

Thanks, I'll have to write it down. I don't have a shop until my new house is done in November. All the welders and tools are in storage for now while we rent.

SailorDon

Don't you need stabilizer jacks to stop the rocking?
The frame is still on the spring suspension. Rock 'n Roll.

Dtaylor52

Don't you need stabilizer jacks to stop the rocking?
The frame is still on the spring suspension. Rock 'n Roll.
Yes, you do still need to use your stabilizer jacks. However, even using the jacks, most of the weight is still supported by the wheels. Stabilizer jacks are not intended to support the weight of your trailer. When walking inside there can still be a lot of "rocking" from the slight movement of the wheels. These and other similar devices bind the wheels to help reduce the movement.

CarterKraft

Very nice job.
I always get allot of satisfaction from DIY projects like that.
Have you seen any need any anti-skid tape on the faces of the tire contacting tubes?
I want to build some of those when I get my trailer, I think I will copy your design but use 1/2" all thread to be able have a 3/4" nut to match the jacks.

Dutch & Di

Permanently mounted aftermarket stabilizers that attach to your jacks,will take care of almost all of the "rocking" you are talking about. We've been using stabilizers for 8 years and once they were installed Mamma was & is a happy camper. Nice workmanship on those chocks.Hugs, Di

Yes, you do still need to use your stabilizer jacks. However, even using the jacks, most of the weight is still supported by the wheels. Stabilizer jacks are not intended to support the weight of your trailer. When walking inside there can still be a lot of "rocking" from the slight movement of the wheels. These and other similar devices bind the wheels to help reduce the movement.

louieb

I bought a pair of the x-chock wheel chocks from BAL. They work really well, unfortunately they cost more they yours did :(. Nice job, i wish i had found this thread before my purchase!

CarterKraft

I finished my copies of Dtaylors units this weekend. Still needs paint...
Thanks again for the idea.
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28331&d=1391438197
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28332&d=1391438236
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28333&d=1391438266

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
From what I understand . . . having the wheels/axles farther apart helps stop swaying.

Our Trail Runner has the axles much closer together, and even with a WD hitch setup and sway bar, it still can start swaying if going too fast (over 65 mph - which is now my self-imposed speed limit), or with a strong wind from behind.

As for the rocking, those attached scissor jacks are pretty much worthless.

I'm glad I kept my old screw-up jacks from my old trailer as I still use those, along with a pair of slide-out supports, and now it is plenty stable when using them.

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpgCamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg