Storage compartment leak

ohman_stm

Hi All, I have a 2011 331QBDS. Here in MD, we've experienced a few hard, long rains the last month or so. Went into the camper this PM to start prepping it for a trip next week and noticed the carpet was wet in the MBR (front of camper), on the entrance side. Specifically, where the closet on that side meets the carpet. Upon closer inspection, I went outside and opened the storage bin on that side, stuck my head inside, and noticed moisture along the inside edges, leading me to believe this may be the leak source. After prying the trim off the inside of the storage bin, noticed they were all wet on that side. Since day 1 of ownership, I've noticed that water always accumulates around the exterior lip of my bin openings. The gaps between the storage bin door (when shut) and frame aren't exactly tight in my opinion, and I can see that when it rains, water just funnels into those gaps and then to the bottom exterior lip of the storage bin opening, where it sits. I can lift the black rubber gasket up and see water sitting there. My theory, is given enough rain, water seeps in from there, and wicks into the carpet in the MBR. Anyone else had this issue? If so, is it a simple caulking job around the black rubber gasket, to help supplement?

On a related note, I've noticed water in my underbelly, but only in the front 1/4 of the camper. Everytime it rains, I can push the underbelly up and water spills out. Wondering if this is somehow related to my issue above, or, just where water is running down the front of the camper and somehow getting into the gaps where the underbelly (coroplast) is attached to the frame?

Sorry to be so longwinded....

Ugh!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Simply put, water leaks are a pain to find. Once it finds a way into the coach it runs the path of least resistance. I wouldn't hesitate to look at the front upper clearance lights for starters. Also the front cap where it meets the rubber roof. Is there some reason you haven't contacted your dealer? It's a new RV...

ohman_stm

OK, Called the dealer. Long story short, they recommended caulking the windows, adding some more weather stripping to my storage compartment openings, and checking the roof for any cracks in the blobs of sealant, and if necessary apply some dicor rubber roof sealant. I don't have the luxury of taking the camper to the dealer, since they are a 10 hour drive away, and not really ecstatic about the answers I got, but, I will do what they suggested and see if it solves the issue. They did say that if my efforts don't work, they will work with me to get it fixed at a local authorized Heartland repair facility/dealer.

Fingers crossed.