Storage Question

Have new Cyclone 2105 HD edition TH
I see a lot of motorhomes and trailers with a 110 power line going somewhere into their RV in our storage lot. What is this doing for them? Are they perhaps trickle charging the batteries?

I have been turning the Battery Bypass switch so I don't drain the batteries, but maybe a trickle charger would be better. Any advice appreciated.

windviewer

I recommend any of the batteryminder line of chargers. I have used these for years on the airplane, atv's, snowmobiles without problem. They have extended the life of the airplane battery by about double the average life expectation (5.5 years instead of 3).

I just ordered a 12151 to put in the battery box of our new prowler.

http://www.batteryminders.com/

danemayer

If you can hook up to power, just get an adapter and plug the trailer power cord in. Your power converter will keep the battery charged and conditioned.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our coach is plugged into shore power all the time except when traveling. But of course it sits in our driveway. I do this to charge the battery. In your case, if you are able, you should keep a trickle charger on the battery.

Last edited:

windviewer

The advantage (IMO) of the batteryminder is it conditions the battery while maintaining a charge (and desulfates them as well). Not sure of what degree of charging technology is included in the standard RV converter; I have had one person warn me (again, in HIS opinion) that his converter cooked his batteries sooner rather than later and he switched to a trickle charger for long term storage.

OK so silly question, do I hook a tender up as normal, there are no series wiring concerns? Not even sure how many batteries my new 2016 Cyclone HD has. Need to check it out.

Crumgater

We don't have an option for power at our storage lot, so we use the battery disconnect switch and turn everything off. We've had it sit over the winter for 5-6 months, and still have more than 2/3 battery when we reconnect (via the switch) in the spring.

windviewer

We don't have an option for power at our storage lot, so we use the battery disconnect switch and turn everything off. We've had it sit over the winter for 5-6 months, and still have more than 2/3 battery when we reconnect (via the switch) in the spring.

You might consider one of the solor panel trickle chargers. Your battery would appreciate it :)
One example (there are many) is http://www.batteryminders.com/12-volt-solar-charger-desulfator-maintainer-panel-scc-005

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been told and read that the converters used by Heartland RV at least in the Big Horn and Landmark lines have a built in smart circuit which will charge, condition and maintain the battery without frying it. Maybe Jim B could confirm this.

danemayer

I have been told and read that the converters used by Heartland RV at least in the Big Horn and Landmark lines have a built in smart circuit which will charge, condition and maintain the battery without frying it. Maybe Jim B could confirm this.

You can read about the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series used in the Bighorn and Landmark at this link. Page 2 describes the features.

Garypowell

I am curious if you use a Batteryminder during storage if you have to unhook it when you use the rig and it is powered by pedestal?

can the Batteryminder and the RV's converter be hooked to the battery at the same time? Will one damage the other?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've been leaving our trailers plugged in all the time for years.

Never had a problem.

We park our trailer at our house, so no big deal.

windviewer

I am curious if you use a Batteryminder during storage if you have to unhook it when you use the rig and it is powered by pedestal?

can the Batteryminder and the RV's converter be hooked to the battery at the same time? Will one damage the other?
my intent is to put a battery disconnect between the battery and the rv. i will only put the batteryminder on when the rv is disconnected from the battery.

this way all appliances are off in the rv and the batteryminder is just charging the battery (and there is no chance of the power converter trying to charge the battery at the same time; probably a good thing to keep seperated

our prowler has a wfco wf-8955pec converter. the specs indicate it does have three modes of charging (float, bulk, and under load). it doesnt have the conditioning circuitry like the batteryminder.

other power converters may be different in their treatment of the battery...

windviewer

One experiment I am doing now is to measure the power requirements of the shore power to the converter to keep the battery charged versus power required for the batteryminder. I am running the shore power test now. On initial connection, the power draw was 150 watts, which tapered down to about 100 watts after 5 minutes. I will see the total watts used for 24 hours; then run another 24 hours (battery fully charged, no use of RV other than parasite power of stereo and converter);

Will repeat process with batteryminder in about a week (when I get it).

Note: our RV has the WFCO WF-8955PEC converter. YMMV on other converters.

ksucats

Most converters/charging units installed in our coaches do not have a 'maintenance / trickle charge' capability. Therefore they will cook the water out of the battery(ies) sooner. Many of the newer converters are available with things comparable to the battery-minder so if you have upgraded your converter to one of the newer ones you may be good to go. That said, I have not actually checked any of the newer coaches to see what brand / type of converter they have installed. All said, if in doubt I would disconnect the battery and take it home if possible. Place it on a piece of wood (not directly on the ground / concrete floor) and then charge it every so often.

danemayer

Most converters/charging units installed in our coaches do not have a 'maintenance / trickle charge' capability. Therefore they will cook the water out of the battery(ies) sooner. Many of the newer converters are available with things comparable to the battery-minder so if you have upgraded your converter to one of the newer ones you may be good to go. That said, I have not actually checked any of the newer coaches to see what brand / type of converter they have installed. All said, if in doubt I would disconnect the battery and take it home if possible. Place it on a piece of wood (not directly on the ground / concrete floor) and then charge it every so often.

Can't speak to older RVs, but the Heartland units built over at least the past 5 years typically have either a Progressive Dynamics 9200 Series or a WFCO Power Converter. Either will keep your battery charged.

Many of the larger Heartland units use the Progressive Dynamics 9200 Series Power Converter. Here's what the manual says:
INTEGRATED CHARGE WIZARD ... The INTELI-POWER 9200 Power Converter is the intelligent way to
charge your RV battery. The built-in Charge Wizard® microprocessor constantly monitors the battery voltage then
automatically adjusts the converter output voltage to provide the proper charging voltage for fast recharges and
long-term maintenance.

Other units may come with a WFCO Power Converter. The 55 amp Converter manual says:
All WFCO power converters are automatic three-stage switching
power supplies. The converter senses which mode it needs to be in by checking the RV system voltage.
The three modes/stages of operation include:

Absorption mode/Normal operation
- Nominal battery charge and supplies power to appliances
Bulk mode/Charge mode
- Fast battery charge and supplies power to appliances
Float mode/Trickle charge
- Trickle battery charge during storage

Absorption Mode: During this mode, the converter output is in the
13.6 Vdc range. This is the normal operation mode. This mode
provides the 12 Vdc and current required by the 12 Vdc RV appliances,
as well as slow charging the battery.

Bulk Mode: In this mode, the output voltage of the converter will