Stuck black tank valve

Jajjaaj

I have a 2009 Heartland Bighorn 3670RL. When I pulled the lever to open the black tank valve, nothing happened. I’m guessing the cable came loose and needs to be replaced or the valve is broken. I can see the the black tank in the basement and the cable appears to go under it. What is the best way to access and replace. I’ve also heard that this could be a very messy job and would love some tips and tricks to make this as painless as possible.

david-steph2018

Chance the cable did come loose at the valve body. You can get into the bottom cover by cutting an access panel in it, you can get to the valve.
The cable is held to the valve body with a small Allen screw, it could have fell out. You may not need to replace the valve, just repair the cable.
If the cable is stretched, it can be shortened by cutting with pliers and using a Dremel tool to cut the cable's steel covering.
Until you get in the bottom, you can only guess at what you need to repair the issue.

wdk450

Once you get access to the valve, you can pull on the valve shaft away from the pipe to open the valve and do your draining. If you can't fix the valve soon, you can put an external valve on the sewer water outlet fitting. The external valve is a valuable backup device to have if your main valves quit or leak. A leak can fill the piping with effluent, which you discover (rudely) when you remove the sewer outlet cap to hook up your sewer hose.

RoadJunkie

You didn't provide a lot of information about the operational status of your black tank, e.g., were you connected to a dump port? I'm suggesting that it may not be your cable but perhaps the liquid drained out leaving a solid mass that won't drain. You may want to research other possibilities other that a broken cable.

Jajjaaj

You didn't provide a lot of information about the operational status of your black tank, e.g., were you connected to a dump port? I'm suggesting that it may not be your cable but perhaps the liquid drained out leaving a solid mass that won't drain. You may want to research other possibilities other that a broken cable.
I didn’t add additional info because my tank and valve were operating correctly up until that moment. Pulling the lever felt different, different enough that I immediately knew it didn’t feel right and something was wrong with the cable or with the valve. As for my tank, I’m quite notorious for spending a lot of rinsing time until everything is absolutely clear.