Suburban furnace trouble shooting

BobTheBuilder

I've read some prior threads and a manual I have. I believe it may be a propane flow problem but I don't know how to test for that or clear the line. Some weeks ago the furnace was starting (fan blowing) without putting out heat. We would restart (thermostat off and back on) and it was fine (an intermitten problem) but 2 weeks ago it failed to put out hot air and would no longer restart. The blower runs, I can hear the click-click-click as it tries to light but it does not and the fan continues to run. I have checked for obstructions (bugs, nest, etc.) in the intake and I can smell gas while it is trying to light. Based on what I have read on other threads it seems perhaps some gas is flowing but not enough. There are discussions about contaminants collecting in the gas lines but I could not find any instructions on how to check/remove them.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

BobTheBuilder

Re: Suburban furnace trouble shooting SOLVED

It was oil in the lines. I found some info online from a blog called RV Doctor. He said you had to throw out everything and replace (lines, regulator valve, etc.) On some sailboat blogs they discussed washing everything out with hot soapy water and then blowing them out.

I shut down the gas and removed both lines from my propane bottles and from the regulator to the iron pipe line on the coach. Oil was immediately dripping from the line that connected to the iron pipe. I chose to replace the regulator and wash the others using Dawn and hot water and blew them out. As I connected them from the bottles I was shaking and checking for water (some was still there). I fired up the stove first and then the furnace with no problems.