Suburban Hot Water Heater - Check Valve

Westwind

Lesson Learned - While in Florida this year we had the outside switch on our HW Heater quit on us, after checking everything but the switch I had a "Mobile Repair" come in, he found the switch right away and fixed it and warned me that the hard water/ loaded with calcium in Florida does a number on the Suburban HW Heater check valves. It would be a good thing for me to remove it since for years the HW heaters didn't have one. So it was removed.

Fast Forward - This weekend I went to winterize the FW and even though I had and checked the bypass valve in the UDC positioned correctly the pink stuff was filling the HW tank instead of by passing it and winterizing the plumbing. I went to our forum and Danemayer responded and pointed me to the HUG section for help, yes I knew it was there (Just another senior moment). Once I read the paragraph on the Check Value the light sort of came on and then once I saw it wasn't there it all came back. So a trip to an RV dealer who has a very large parts department for a check valve. Now the FW is winterize until the end of Dec. when we head south.

I will be carrying a spare check valve just in case - my spare parts bin is getting heavier.

wdk450

Just make sure you have a BRASS check valve and not a plastic one, that frequently fails and seizes/breaks off the nipple threads in the female threads of the water heater.

Westwind

You are all right - cheaper online at Amazon and everywhere else, probably cheaper then Camping World! But I had traveled there and I did walk out without it but then I hit my head getting into the truck and went back and got it - and it's fixed and the FW it winterized plus I also fixed two leaks at the UDC pex connections.
I can move on to all the other things on my list and not have to worry about getting that done.