Suburban water heater fried wires at element

Johnston1107

2020 bighorn the wires melted at the e heating element connection both hot and neutral also melted plastic cover. What could have caused this. First time out this year I did not check hot water for water before plugging in to shore power. Element reads 10.8 ohms is it good or bad? Thanks

centerline

if its tight at the thermostat, its either a failed thermostat or a bit of corrosion on one of the wires (poor connection)

replace the Tstat, and repair the wires and it should be just fine.... make sure the connections are good and snug, and i always use dielectric grease on the terminals to keep the corrosion off.

hoefler

Wires loose at the connection to the element is the only reason the wires would melt at the element

Bob.jr

Loose wire nuts!!!
fcf832dd64db0c3761c4b7607ae6e03a.jpg
32bce81cb6b537d8bdb8c0dc0f7951e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

wdk450

Loose wires/poor connections on high current circuits causes heat generation through the poor connection resistance. Heat generation causes metal corrosion and more resistance. This syndrome will keep going on until excessive heat causes wire/connection failure. Power (generated heat) = I (current) SQUARED multiplied by R (resistance). 1/2 the resistance from 1 ohm to 1/2 half ohm by improving the connection = 1/4 the heat generated.

All electrical connections should be tight, metal surfaces shiny (NO Surface Oxidation), use electrical contact cleaner/restorer (Caig Cramolyn DeOxIt ) on all. All screw type connections (AC circuit breakers, water heater element, 12 volt buss bar) should be retightened on a regular basis.

Johnston1107

Loose wires/poor connections on high current circuits causes heat generation through the poor connection resistance. Heat generation causes metal corrosion and more resistance. This syndrome will keep going on until excessive heat causes wire/connection failure. Power (generated heat) = I (current) SQUARED multiplied by R (resistance). 1/2 the resistance from 1 ohm to 1/2 half ohm by improving the connection = 1/4 the heat generated.

All electrical connections should be tight, metal surfaces shiny (NO Surface Oxidation), use electrical contact cleaner/restorer (Caig Cramolyn DeOxIt ) on all. All screw type connections (AC circuit breakers, water heater element, 12 volt buss bar) should be retightened on a regular basis.
Thanks great info the connection did feel loose. I will repair the wires do you think the element is good? The insulator melted a little and moves around.

danemayer

Thanks great info the connection did feel loose. I will repair the wires do you think the element is good? The insulator melted a little and moves around.

Elements are cheap, easy to replace, and available at hardware stores as well as RV dealers.