Suggestions needed - screen door mod.

Westwind

I've had a spring on our screen door so it would close but it's never worked right and I've removed it, I know its probably my fault and that I might have installed it incorrectly.
If you have a working return spring or something other that works I would greatly, my better half has difficulty latching the door and many times I've returned to th trailer with the AC going and the door not latched. The spring pulls the door shut.

If you have some pictures they would be appreciated since I do better with pictures.

jbeletti

I've used this Camco item on several coaches:
screen_door_spring.jpg
Easy to install. I've only had to drill 2 tiny pilot holes to install them. They do pull the screen door closed but not with so much force that it slams hard or anything. I have noticed that when I have plexiglass panels on my screen door, the springs have a harder time pulling the door completely shut/latched. I suppose one could stretch the springs during install to install them an inch farther than stated in the instructions, to provide more spring/pulling force.

Westwind

Jim that's what I had - but I wonder if I just didn't locate them correctly, the spring ended up getting sprung, could have been because the wind caught it once but I had the second one so I guess I'll have to try it again. I just want it to pull the door towards the door frame so the AC doesn't have a Barn Door to run out of. Especially when we are bring in groceries etc.

GOTTOYS

For what it's worth. In my youth I remember visiting some friends at their lake home. While there the spring on a screen door that was mounted at just the right height, snapped and resulted in the loss of an eye to the little boy that was opening the door. As a result I will never use a spring to close a door. Just not something I would want to experience again....JMHO...Don