Sundance Water tank/pump issues

Bighurt

Our pump broke earlier this season. I replaced it with a new unit, same model. However now we are having issues with the tank that appear to be more than just the pump.

Lately our pump has been running constantly, when it does I turn it off then check the tank level. It's of course empty so I fill it and then turn the pump back on and everything is fine. Then a few days later it does the same thing so I repeat the procedure this morning was the 4th event, and it's only been 2 days since I filled it just like the other times.

This time however after a few minutes water came back out the gravity fill. Keep in mind I fill with a hose, I hold it in the fill port and trickle the water in so as not to pressure fill it or get a stream in the basement. Now I've seen water pour out before but it was only a short time and I've really put a ton of water in this unit lately. Now water is sitting just in the fill hose and I start wondering where all this water is going. While I think I walk around and check the level, 1/3 now that's interesting...just as I release the toggle I think, have I been filling the underbelly (maybe a loss hose are leaking pipe...

I hesitantly drop to a knee and peep under the unit...Wow

In the same location as the water tank, the belly is ballooning down about 3" lower than the bottom of the beams. Great the belly is full, I have a leak somewhere and the sensors shorted out...but that doesn't explain a constant running pump.

So I start loosening the underbelly fasteners and separate the belly from the frame and expect to get soaked...not a drop.

I get enough pulled to see the tank and the bottom of the water tank is distended, the 1/8" ply didn't work to support it...

So now I have four things to figure out;

1) What tank management hardware should I add to my unit to better monitor my levels?
2) Why is the pump running constantly every few days?
3) How should I reinforce the belly to better support the tank, and do I need to replace the tank?
4) While I'm at it why is the water pressure in the bathroom sink twice that of the kitchen sink?

Normally I would request prompt response. However we are now full timing due to the loss of our home from flood. See my next thread on wintering in a Sundance in North Dakota!

hoefler

The pick up in the tank for the pump is about an 1" above the bottom, and with the bottom sagging out of it, you don't have a chance on getting all the water out of it. I just re mounted my fresh water tank last weekend. The strap that is supposed to hold the tank in place is loose or broke, by the way, very **** poor design as well. Mine had 3/4" OSB under the tank and 1 strap holding it all in. I replaced the OSB with Advantech T&G floor decking. Then used 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle iron to support the Advantech. I installed 3 pieces of angle iron running front to back. This cold be a blessing for you, with the situation you are in and the up coming winter, you will get a very good idea what you have and what you will need to do to get through the winter. I have an older Landmark, but I can't imagine the base construction being that different. Our water tank literally had no insulation under it or around it, now it does. I used high density blue board foam insulation under the tank. It is only R-7, but is better than a paper tin piece of fiberglass flattened out by a bubble wrap radiant barrier and the belly skin. If you would like, you can send me a PM with a phone # and I will call you with more in-depth detail on how I fixed our water tank and some ideas on how to prep your rig for the winter. Wish you the best of luck, if you were closer, I'd would hop over and give you a hand.

Bighurt

Thanks

Still curious as to why my pump runs constantly...and there is always air in the lines?

Also the water output at various fixtures is drastically different?

Any help is appreciated.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
If your fresh water tank is like my Sundance it's very hard to fill and spills out when the tank is 1/3 full. I found that blowing compressed air in the tank vent cures the slow filling issues. Also my tank has to be at least 1/4 full for the pump to shut off.

Bighurt

I have a feeling that's the issue.

I managed to get hooked up to city water, until I move the unit or fix the issue. If I can find the time this weekend I'll pull the bottom and get to work repairing the water supply.

Anybody know what tape works best to repair the seam in the underbelly? I'd prefer to just cut back to a structural beam rather than the entire underbelly.

Duramax1

If your fresh water tank is like my Sundance it's very hard to fill and spills out when the tank is 1/3 full. I found that blowing compressed air in the tank vent cures the slow filling issues. Also my tank has to be at least 1/4 full for the pump to shut off.

When we first took delivery of our Sundance we experienced the same problem.

The problem was caused by a kink in the air line that allows the air to escape from the water tank when it is being filled.

Once the kink was removed we have never experienced the problem again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling that's the issue.

Anybody know what tape works best to repair the seam in the underbelly? I'd prefer to just cut back to a structural beam rather than the entire underbelly.
Gorilla Tape works great. Expensive, but good. Be sure to clean the surface with mineral spirits before applyin the tape.
If you cut the underbelly, and have a substantial seam I would put a piece of 1x2 or 3 on the inside and screw both sides of Coroplast, at the seam, to it. That will strengthen it before taping it.

Peace
Dave