Surge Protector

rvmckee

I have a 2020 Landmark Phoenix and want to know if it comes standard with a surge protector or do you have to order or buy one.

danemayer

Surge Protection is a standard feature. The open question is about what protective functions it offers.

I can't say what device is currently shipping, but a few years ago Landmark 365 was using a TRC Surgegard 41260, which is a combination Transfer Switch and Surge Protector. That model lists the following features:

 Open Neutral Protection​
 Reversed Polarity Protection​
 Multi-mode Surge Suppression​
 Time Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)​
 50 FLA Rated Contactors (Full inductive load rated)​
 Mechanical Interlocking Contactors​
 Electrical Interlocked Control Circuit​
 Black Heavy-Duty Plastic Enclosure​
 Rugged Construction​
 UL Approved ATS – full transfer switch rating, UL1008, (not general control)​
 2600 Joules at 76,400 Amps​

I note that it doesn't list low-voltage protection. That is probably much more common than surges, and can also cause damage to electrical devices in your RV. During hot spells, it's very common for RV parks and the utilities supplying power to the park, to not be able to supply normal voltage levels.

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you the manufactuer/model # of the device in your rig.

If it's 41260, I would recommend you add a full-featured Electrical Management System (EMS). Either a standalone or an in-line. Both Progressive and Southwire Surgeguard offer pretty comparable units. You want the more expensive full-featured EMS, not a less expensive surge protector. Here's a link to Amazon.

pegmikef

Landmarks come with a Power Management System which also serves as an EMS. I personally use a portable Progressive EMS that has surge protection as well. I always install plug in surge protectors on the microwave and entertainment electronics (TV, sound bar, receiver, etc.). The microwave in my Bighorn got fried because of a spike caused by a loose neutral. I don't worry about the refrigerator because I always run it off the inverter (then inverter would be fried before the reefer).

GK2018

We use a Progressive Industries surge protector as well and I swear by it, one of the best and smartest investments you can buy! We had a fellow who sure could've used one about a month ago when the pedestal wound up toasting his inverter, fridge and AC. His insurance is going to cover the damage but at the end of the day a surge protector may have been cheaper than paying that deductible!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

rvmckee

Thank you all for your response. I will check the factory and the other suggestions out and go from there. Appreciate your timely responses!

ILH

Thank you all for your response. I will check the factory and the other suggestions out and go from there. Appreciate your timely responses!

Let us know what the factory says. I have a 2020 Landmark Newport - and I have the same concerns.

Flick

We use a Progressive Industries surge protector as well and I swear by it, one of the best and smartest investments you can buy! We had a fellow who sure could've used one about a month ago when the pedestal wound up toasting his inverter, fridge and AC. His insurance is going to cover the damage but at the end of the day a surge protector may have been cheaper than paying that deductible!

Just a reminder to everyone who uses a Progressive Industries surge protectors/ems product that these carry a lifetime warranty against defects or if they just simply quit working. My daughter and I both had units that have been replaced with no hassle from the company whatsoever. They didn’t even ask for the defective units to be returned.

donr827

I would put a Progressive in also. Usually HL goes for the cheaper brand that is suppose to work as well as the others.

ILH

Just a reminder to everyone who uses a Progressive Industries surge protectors/ems product that these carry a lifetime warranty against defects or if they just simply quit working. My daughter and I both had units that have been replaced with no hassle from the company whatsoever. They didn’t even ask for the defective units to be returned.

I can attest to that - I've had a progressive 50 amp external model for quite a few years (before buying my Landmark). It died about two summers ago and Progressive shipped me another without any question.

GK2018

That was one of the biggest reasons I went with a Progressive Industries and not another manufacturer, I have been entertaining a Hugh's Autoformer though just because they are an EMS system plus a voltage booster and if I run into a campground that won't allow the usage of voltage boosters I can put the Progressive Industries back on. Our Progressive Industries has saved us more than a few problems!

danemayer

While I have a Progressive Unit, and last year enjoyed the benefit of their Lifetime Limited Warranty, I have to note that Southwire (formerly TRC) Surge Guard also now comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty, including some warranty against surge damage to your RV equipment. I can't speak to their customer service, but it does look like at some point in the last few years they improved their warranty. Here's one of the Southwire products.

Flick

While I have a Progressive Unit, and last year enjoyed the benefit of their Lifetime Limited Warranty, I have to note that Southwire (formerly TRC) Surge Guard also now comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty, including some warranty against surge damage to your RV equipment. I can't speak to their customer service, but it does look like at some point in the last few years they improved their warranty. Here's one of the Southwire products.

I’ve not dealt with Southwire on surge protectors, etc., but I’ve bought a lot of Southwire products if it the same company that makes wire and voltage products for outlets like Home Depot.
This is good info to know. Thanks. I don’t like to see companies having to reach into their pockets to make adjustments on things we buy, but I reckon they can either make them better or stand behind their products like they are doing. We need more like them.

Dahillbilly

I’ve not dealt with Southwire on surge protectors, etc., but I’ve bought a lot of Southwire products if it the same company that makes wire and voltage products for outlets like Home Depot.
This is good info to know. Thanks. I don’t like to see companies having to reach into their pockets to make adjustments on things we buy, but I reckon they can either make them better or stand behind their products like they are doing. We need more like them.

Was looking at the 50 amp hard wired unit by Southwire w/ remote display; then today I checked into the Progressive unit w/ display. Both seem to be about the same except for the pricing. The Progressive unit cost less.
Wondering what others think of the Progressive unit.
Thanks

avvidclif

The Progressive unit is I think you will find the most used on here. For fun check the warranty on the Southwire. The Progressive is lifetime to the original purchaser from an authorized dealer.

NYSUPstater

On our old coach (30A) we had just some simple 30A surge protector that was as simple as you could get/use and for the most part didn't offer a whole lotta protection as we were new to the RV thing. Didn't get the Surge guard for a while after we had coach. After gaining more knowledge and several years later and when we decided to get new/current coach, did a lot of research and asking of folks (think I even joined the forum before we got the coach and asked here as well) and consensus was PI 50A EMS. Went w/ the portable/pedestal mount version and use a HD locking cable to secure it. All I can say after 3 years is.....WOW! Not being an electrician, the thing constantly is testing the input power and will NOT allow power to continue onto the coach if it detects a fault. Many have hard wired units made by PI and many have portable versions....which ever suits you best and most comfy with. I love the read out and what it shows for ok/not ok on side of the guard. Easy-peaszy. Again, for folks who don't understand a whole lot about how things are wired, for me at least, the PI EMS is as simple as it gets and yet offers GREAT BENNY's!!! My vote is PI.

My biggest fear is that lightning will strike my power lines and cause a power surge. This situation would be the end of my sensitive equipment like air conditioner, microwave, and computer. I want to protect my device from power issues, so I'm learning about RV surge protectors. Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO. I like that the mutable module is interchangeable.
If it breaks, I can just replace it with a new one instead of buying the whole set. The PWD30-EPO is another RV arrester that offers exceptional performance. It offers 3,000 joules of surge protection, which is more than enough to protect expensive devices like my PS4 and laptop from electrocution. Plus, this device is plug-and-play, making it easy to set up.

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Here is what I recently installed in our 2021 Bighorn. I really like the bluetooth feature.

Attachments

• 20221002_122847.jpg
    20221002_122847.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20221002_164022.jpg
    20221002_164022.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

david-steph2018

Here is what I recently installed in our 2021 Bighorn. I really like the bluetooth feature.
Looks nice Mark. Now let's talk about the MorRyde IS system and disc brakes!!