Suspension Bushings, Centre Point, Wet Bolts - What To Use?

Squirlee

I have 45,000 KM on my trailer and I am going to replace the suspension bushings. What do you all recommend? The factory bushings lasted this long do I just go with them again or do I go wet bolts (do they break as often as I am reading), Never Fail? Anyone use Center Point air bags?

Im not doing a whole suspension swap but I am interested in what people normally do with their trailers and having good results with.

EDIT - 2015 Heartland Oakmont 345RS.

Thanks!

centerline

ive ownd 2 trailers with wet bolt suspension, and never had a wet bolt break.... and I have never used bronze bushings in these light trailer springs..... the nylon bushings hold up much longer if you use wet bolts with them.... but after reading about wet bolts breaking, I would carry a couple extra bolts with you incase one does break... they arent difficult to replace when the trailer is on a level surface, providing the rest of the suspension hasnt sustained any damage due to the bolt breaking..

Squirlee

Thank you. I will look into the nylon gushing with wet bolts.

ive ownd 2 trailers with wet bolt suspension, and never had a wet bolt break.... and I have never used bronze bushings in these light trailer springs..... the nylon bushings hold up much longer if you use wet bolts with them.... but after reading about wet bolts breaking, I would carry a couple extra bolts with you incase one does break... they arent difficult to replace when the trailer is on a level surface, providing the rest of the suspension hasnt sustained any damage due to the bolt breaking..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a set of Never Fail bushings that I never installed. Bought them to put in then we “decided” that we’d just be summer seasonal at the same location and not do long road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I had Neverfail installed just a few weeks after buying our BigHorn new. Travelled full time for five years and never had suspension or tire issues. Added note: I re-torqued all suspension bolts at least twice per year and always found a couple that needed tightening. I count that as a reason I never had any suspension issues.

centerline

I have a set of Never Fail bushings that I never installed. Bought them to put in then we “decided” that we’d just be summer seasonal at the same location and not do long road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just wondering, Ive seen the nylon, bronze, brass and steel spring end bushings, but ive never heard the term "never fail" bushings.... what type of material are they?
im wondering if they mean they will never fail other than the normal wear that spring bushings get, which is abuse and wear, so maybe they wont fail, but will wear out in time?...

without lubrication, any type of material in this application would wear a lot quicker than a lubricated material...

wdk450

just wondering, Ive seen the nylon, bronze, brass and steel spring end bushings, but ive never heard the term "never fail" bushings.... what type of material are they?
im wondering if they mean they will never fail other than the normal wear that spring bushings get, which is abuse and wear, so maybe they wont fail, but will wear out in time?...

without lubrication, any type of material in this application would wear a lot quicker than a lubricated material...

See: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Never-Fail-Spring-Bushing-double-axle-kit-p/46-0380.htm

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A bunch of years back I replaced the worn out OEM bushings and bolts with a wet bolt kit including bronze bushings.
A few years after that I had to replace my springs. A few of the bronze bushings came out in pieces. Another failure.
So then I installed the NeverFail bushings with wet bolts.
Last year, with nothing to do, I decided to install the MORryde SRE-4000 along with a new wet bolts and bronze bushings.
I now call the NeverFail EverFail. They were better than the OEM but didn't look all that good.
So to sum it up I think it's a crap shoot no matter what you decide to go with. Other than the OEM.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

centerline

A bunch of years back I replaced the worn out OEM bushings and bolts with a wet bolt kit including bronze bushings.
A few years after that I had to replace my springs. A few of the bronze bushings came out in pieces. Another failure.
So then I installed the NeverFail bushings with wet bolts.
Last year, with nothing to do, I decided to install the MORryde SRE-4000 along with a new wet bolts and bronze bushings.
I now call the NeverFail EverFail. They were better than the OEM but didn't look all that good.
So to sum it up I think it's a crap shoot no matter what you decide to go with. Other than the OEM.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

I agree...
which is why i was interested in this so called "never fail" product...

the steel bushings are ok in that they dont break up and fall apart and they do last quite awhile, but if you neglect the grease, the bolts also wear, quickly....

which for the cost and time involved, the nylon bushings have always been my choice... when greased once in awhile, they last about twice as long as ungreased, and cheap and easy to replace when the time comes, without having to use new bolts or remove the spring from the trailer to punch out the old bushings...

if one is greasing their suspension on at regular and timely intervals, delrin (acetal) may be a better choice, as the delrin is a harder material with good wear properties, but NOT quite as wear resistant as 6/6 nylon when ran greaseless...

so in my opinion, for those that dont like to crawl under their trailer to grease the suspension, or have dry bolts, the standard nylon bushings are the best....

Squirlee

Well, I grabbed a set of Dexter wetbolts, bronze bushings and heavy shackles. I guess we will see what happens. I’m usually under my trailer every stop having a look.

anyone use the Center Point bags or Morryde CRE4000 equalizers? Wondering if they are worth the swap. I currently have the Dexter EZ-Flex and they seem to have worked fine.

centerline

Well, I grabbed a set of Dexter wetbolts, bronze bushings and heavy shackles. I guess we will see what happens. I’m usually under my trailer every stop having a look.

anyone use the Center Point bags or Morryde CRE4000 equalizers? Wondering if they are worth the swap. I currently have the Dexter EZ-Flex and they seem to have worked fine.

personally, I think the center point air ride suspension is a waste of money...

the leaf springs take the shock loads that the roads cause, and the rubber dampened equalizers keep any residual shock that the springs dont absorb from getting to the trailer frame, AND allow for longer bushing life.... the air bags cant really do it any better.

the center point is just an air spring, and anyone who has used air bags in place of regular springs, or WITH regular springs, can tell you that air bags dont ride any smoother, but are adjustable which makes them more adaptable for various different loads, which when properly inflated for the load, vs an overloaded condition on just the springs alone, can SEEM like it rides better... but if the springs alone were heavy enough to handle the load the way they should, the airbags arent needed, yet the suspension would still carry the load and ride like it should... but on the down side, when the load is removed, the vehicle may be over sprung, which would make it ride a bit stiff.... with the air bags, you can let the pressure down and let the vehicle rind on its regular springs......
unlike a conventional add-on air bag system, with the centerpoint system, the bags arent really carrying the load in a manner that they cant be adjusted much to help with a stiff ride or a heavier load, due to where and how they are mounted in the system... because the springs are STILL first in line to get the loads and the road shock, and if the springs are over loaded in the centerpoint system, the air bags cant help them.

use springs and what ever brand of flex equalizers you want, with shock absorbers, and you will have as good of ride as you will get....

and when purchasing a trailer, if you are looking for the best possible ride and best towing trailer, keep in mind that a 3 axle trailer rides smoother and tows better than a tandem, when they are set up the same way....

Squirlee

Thanks. I was thinking the same about the air equalizer. I watched some videos and the setup actually looks a little mushy. I’m gonna keep it simple and put wet bolts in, keep the same EZ-Flex equalizer.

personally, I think the center point air ride suspension is a waste of money...

the leaf springs take the shock loads that the roads cause, and the rubber dampened equalizers keep any residual shock that the springs dont absorb from getting to the trailer frame, AND allow for longer bushing life.... the air bags cant really do it any better.

the center point is just an air spring, and anyone who has used air bags in place of regular springs, or WITH regular springs, can tell you that air bags dont ride any smoother, but are adjustable which makes them more adaptable for various different loads, which when properly inflated for the load, vs an overloaded condition on just the springs alone, can SEEM like it rides better... but if the springs alone were heavy enough to handle the load the way they should, the airbags arent needed, yet it would carry the load and ride like it should...

use springs and what ever brand of flex equalizers you want, with shock absorbers, and you will have as good of ride as you will get....

and when purchasing a trailer, iif you are looking for the best ride and best towing trailer, keep in mind that a 3 axle trailer rides smoother and tows better than a tandem, when they are set up the same way....

jnbhobe

In the first couple of years I owned our rig I replaced bushings, equalizers, springs, and wet bolts. I finally got tired of it and put Mor-Ryde IS on it. Trouble free for 10 years now.