Suspension Check Reminder

wdk450

Gang:
I have been staying in the San Diego area now for about 15 months, alternating every 3 weeks between 2 Thousand trails parks about 50 miles apart. 3 weeks ago, I noticed a lot of squeaking from my suspension/hitch (?) when driving around this park looking for a space, and made a mental note to lube the suspension before I moved again. Saturday morning I finally got around to it, before my move today (Monday), and while crawling around under the trailer to lube the inside parts, I NOTICED THAT THE DEXTER EQUALIZER HANGAR BOLT ON THE DOOR SIDE DIDN'T HAVE THE BOLT AND NUT COMING OUT OF THE INSIDE HANGAR HOLE. I thought that the nut had come off and the bolt backed out, but later learned that the bolt had actually sheared off on the inside surface, and the equalizer was supporting the trailer weight on just this 1/2 connected bolt. Truthfully, I don't know when this happened, or how long or how many miles I had been driving this way, including some very curvy, sketchy, stretches of Ca. Hwy 79 North of I-8.

I was VERY LUCKY to find a mobile RV servicer (SOS Mobile RV Service, Chula Vista, 619-734-1331) who not only answered the phone on a Saturday, but came out by 2 pm, jacked up the trailer to inspect the suspension, took a sample bolt to get a new one, and will complete the job this morning before I am due to leave this park.

I gave the suspension cursory looks before travelling, but a closer inspection would have caught this.