Swivel Wheel Trailers

JWOursler

We have a 2008 Big Country and are considering purchasing a swivel wheel trailer to tow a golf cart. From what I've read, this type of trailer is not considered "triple towing". We live in Maryland, which is just about the only state on the East Coast that allows triple towing. We have seen some "home made" swivel wheel trailers, but I'm looking for anyone who has purchased either the Cruise Lifter (mfg in Texas) or the Smart Trailers (Lakeland, FL). Please share your stories, good and bad

Thanks,

Mike & Jenny Oursler

Lou_and_Bette

Mike, I have the Cruiser Lift dual wheel Swivel Wheel trailer on the back of our BH. I just towed from the Miss. Gulf Coast to Goshen for the National rally and back. The trailer towed well and I have no complaints. The trailer did seem to reduce the chucking. Was a good choice for me.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Mike, I have the Cruiser Lift dual wheel Swivel Wheel trailer on the back of our BH. I just towed from the Miss. Gulf Coast to Goshen for the National rally and back. The trailer towed well and I have no complaints. The trailer did seem to reduce the chucking. Was a good choice for me.

Lou, How much beefing up did you do to the Big Horn? I'd really like to pull my Gold Wing behind my Landmark, but not sure about the hitch and welding it to the frame. Is it just one hitch point or does your trailer have a two or three point hitch?

Thanks,

Keith

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind any modifications to the frame will void the warranty if that is a concern.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The warranty can only be voided if the modification is found to be the cause of whatever problem you encounter.
And the proof of burden is on the manufacturer.

Peace
Dave

Snow

I know you said only cruise lift or smart trailers but you might consider looking at the Idaho tote my buddy just got one ,a little pricey but really well built jm2cents ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Keith, Don Massengill modified his swivel wheel trailer to have two hitch points that lined up with 2in receivers welded to each side of the frame. Seems to work extremely well. Cindy still has the RV and swivel trailer. Next time you're in the area you should check it out.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We used a Idaho Tote for several years on our previous 5er to carry a Yamaha Rhino and then a Smart Car. Yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

http://idahotote.com/

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Lou_and_Bette

Lou, How much beefing up did you do to the Big Horn? Is it just one hitch point or does your trailer have a two or three point hitch?

Keith, really didn't beef up the frame per say, just welded a 4x2x12 inch channel to the frame and then added flat stock on each end that ran completely across to the other the other side, then welded a piece of angle to the bottom edge of each piece of flat stock. The two receivers were then welded to the angles at the proper spacing.

klindgren

Keith, Don Massengill modified his swivel wheel trailer to have two hitch points that lined up with 2in receivers welded to each side of the frame. Seems to work extremely well. Cindy still has the RV and swivel trailer. Next time you're in the area you should check it out.

Thanks Gus. I knew Don had a trailer for the golf cart, but I didn't know it was the swivel wheel. I'll give Cindy a holler when we get back to Virginia and see if I can stop by to look (at take pictures) at it.

klindgren

Thanks Lou. I've got a buddy that runs a welding/fabricating shop so I'm sure he could do it. I'm going to get ahold of Cindy Massengill (see earlier post) when I get home and hopefully get some pictures to use as a reference.

porthole

Retired
I know you said only cruise lift or smart trailers but you might consider looking at the Idaho tote my buddy just got one ,a little pricey but really well built jm2cents ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

For the Swivel wheel I would only consider the two wheel version. Higher capacity, "2 wheels" and the system works quite a bit differently. On the single wheel version is is possible to dip the sides enough to make ground contact.
The Idaho totes are a little higher off the ground and very pricey. Because of the price there tends to be fewer of them popping on the used market place.

calfirebill

I recently bought a Smart Trailer from Florida and am impressed with the quality, engineering, and finish. I have the SL200 Deluxe with upgraded tires. This has an 1800 lb load capacity and uses a single class 3 hitch. It has a swivel hitch with two hitch balls that allow side flex going over curbs. I will be hauling a Polaris Razor behind my Big Horn 3575. This is the link: http://smarttrailers.com/
If you decide to buy one, mention you heard about it from me, William B. Redding, and they will give you $100.00 off.

JWOursler

I recently bought a Smart Trailer from Florida and am impressed with the quality, engineering, and finish. I have the SL200 Deluxe with upgraded tires. This has an 1800 lb load capacity and uses a single class 3 hitch. It has a swivel hitch with two hitch balls that allow side flex going over curbs. I will be hauling a Polaris Razor behind my Big Horn 3575. This is the link: http://smarttrailers.com/
If you decide to buy one, mention you heard about it from me, William B. Redding, and they will give you $100.00 off.

Thanks Bill. I will certainly mention your name if we decide to purchase one. Thanks again