Syracuse NY to Tyler TX area

NYSUPstater

DW informed this morning that her co-worker is heading to TX this summer as they bought a house and some land. Seems that former owner of the house had a MH and built a pad for it w/ at electric hook up. Anyways, taking a quick gander at the atlas w/ one eye open, looks like the best route(s) would be 90 west to 71 south to either 65 south to 40 west to 30 west OR 71 south to 64 west to 155 south/west to 55 south to 30 west. Am thinking 2 days down/back which I know is a lot of windshield time. BUT if we do take a lil more time each way and stay in TX for just 2-4 days, what would be things to see, stay eat (BBQ'S ! YUM!!!!) along the way?

This NOT a set in stone trip, just merely asking what would be best. Yes a lot of travel time to do in a week, but have to make do. If I can am able to get an additional day/2 off that would help things.

As always, Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Shortest route is 1,450 miles. With fuel stops and typical construction, it's tough to average more than 50 mph. That'd be around 14-15 hours driving per day to make it in 2 days. 8 hours makes for a long day for most of us.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yeah, what Dan said. We winter in Brownsville TX, 1900 miles, and for perspective no way would I try make that run in say 3 days towing. Takes us 5 full days plus an easy part last day. Just driving a car, I’d have no issue.

Can you alternate drivers? That’s a lot of hours/day for one driver towing. I’ve done 10 hours a couple days in a row because of constraints but I paid the price (sore back and eventual fatigue)

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

DW informed this morning that her co-worker is heading to TX this summer as they bought a house and some land. Seems that former owner of the house had a MH and built a pad for it w/ at electric hook up. Anyways, taking a quick gander at the atlas w/ one eye open, looks like the best route(s) would be 90 west to 71 south to either 65 south to 40 west to 30 west OR 71 south to 64 west to 155 south/west to 55 south to 30 west. Am thinking 2 days down/back which I know is a lot of windshield time. BUT if we do take a lil more time each way and stay in TX for just 2-4 days, what would be things to see, stay eat (BBQ'S ! YUM!!!!) along the way?

This NOT a set in stone trip, just merely asking what would be best. Yes a lot of travel time to do in a week, but have to make do. If I can am able to get an additional day/2 off that would help things.

That will be a tough trip to make in the time period allotted pulling your coach.

We are in KEY WEST now and it took us 34 hours with 2 drivers to go 1500 miles. Averaging just over 8 mpg, we only fueled up one time but had to stop every three hours or so to walk our dogs and grab a bite to eat. I was very fatigued when we got here and even that good Texas BBQ wouldn’t have prevented me from taking a nap when we arrived. Lol. Be safe.

NYSUPstater

I realize the drive time would be a B, but was moreso looking for info on places of interest to see/stop at and eating joints. I do drive semi for a living and DW and I do swap drivers when need be.

david-steph2018

We ran from Wilmington, Ohio (45 miles north of Cincinnati) to Lake Conroe (north of Houston) this past November. We went from Wilmington to Diamond Caverns (Monmouth Cave) to Tom Sawyer RV Park (West Memphis) to a COE Park south of Texarkana then to Lake Conroe in 5 days. We spent 3 nights at Tom Sawyer RV Park other legs were 1 night stop over. Going back last spring (May 2020) we jumped park to park 1 night stop overs in the same towns but different parks in 3 days. That trip wore me out, 3 days after we got back to Wilmington I was hospitalized with a sciatic nerve issue.
We ran I-71 to I-65 to I-40 to I-30 then 59 south to Lake Conroe, coming south.
The road from Cincinnati to Louisville (I-71) is rough. I-65 south of Louisville is bad, really rough. If going that route take I-75 south to Lexington and pick up The Bluegrass Parkway good road. You pick up I-65 south north of Monmouth Cave.