System Training For The Girls

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
After backing our Bighorn into the site at the Maryland Rally some of the ladies sat and discussed this situation. It was suggested that we possibly give brief and understandable explainations on the trailer systems in case of an emergency and our husbands or partners are unable to prepare the rig for the road. To most of us girls, the stinky slinky is off limits. Would you know how to dump and disconnect the system if you had to?? How to safely disconnect the electrical service???

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Yes Deb , Kenny has showed me and I watch him do it all the time!! I had to do our travel trailer once when he broke 5 ribs !! It is a good Idea and I think it's great that you can back yours up and pull it to!!You go girl!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have done it all - hooked up, full set-up at site, all the break-down/dumping and towing of our coach. I have encouraged every lady I have run across to learn the basics cuz of the reason mentioned - partner/hubby injured and you are a long way from home.
Byrd

Sumo

I find a good check list helps with those tasks that I don't preform often.
Like cooking..

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Deb,

Please save our marriage with your training. Col needs some training which I can not give. I blame myself for being unable to communicate it to her in non caveman way, my bad. So please help us, level up eliminated the leveling issues but now we need backing up and other instructions. We are interested in a program.

Love,
Wing Nut the Cave Man

ILH

I think knowing more is always better. Having said that, one of the things that has always impressed me about the 'trailering community' is the willingness to help out your fellow camper in need. I've found that if you struggle long enough with an awning, connection or doodad, someone will arrive to provide assistance. ...just a passing comment. ok, its gone now.;)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jay Coffman an I talked earlier this year about how great it would be if there were some classes at the national rally to help (typically wives) with learning how to pull the fiver. Maybe HL can bring a bare frame on wheels to use for practice? It could be part classroom, part hands-on driving. Make a couple classes available, after the class sign up for a time that works into your schedule to bring your truck and pull the demo trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Considering the duress of having to cope with the rig and other logistics if the primary operator were incapacitated or hospitalized, you might want to look into the Good Sam Emergency Assistance coverage. Not to say the ladies should not be familiar with handling the rig under normal circumstances, but consider the scenarios possible.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Instead of Heartland maybe our local Dealers could provide this service with a large utility type trailer or an older used unit, easier and cheaper to fix JMHO.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Jay Coffman an I talked earlier this year about how great it would be if there were some classes at the national rally to help (typically wives) with learning how to pull the fiver. Maybe HL can bring a bare frame on wheels to use for practice? It could be part classroom, part hands-on driving. Make a couple classes available, after the class sign up for a time that works into your schedule to bring your truck and pull the demo trailer.

Couples training???? Erika are you wanting the HOC divorce rate to go up?:)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Couples training???? Erika are you wanting the HOC divorce rate to go up?:)

Rex, I never said couples!!! Gosh no!!

Jay suggested that someone other than your spouse be the educator for the behind-the-wheel part, and I agreed. ;)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Back when we first started traveling fulltime DW and I took a Dick Reed RV Driving course. Our instructor made me feel bad. He told me Pat was better at backing than I was. WHAT!!! I have backed hay trailers, horse trailers, utility trailers and many other except a semi trailer or 5th wheel. She goes slower...... get er done....

At this time Pat can tow the 5er, back the 5er, level the 5er, connect the power, water and sewer and disconnect the same. Only thing she has not done is connect to the 5er and disconnect. Does she drive, no, because she is not confident enough but she can.

It is intresting that when a RV arrives at a campground most of us look and say "Well I'll be, a woman driving a 5er" but many drive a MH. I always grin when, Dianne Talley, a friend would drive in pulling their 5er. First time I saw her she pulled up beside our site and parked the 5er and "got er done".. Fortunately Jim is now in better health and is able to help more. Dianne is a good example.

FWIW
BC

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Started RVing almost thirty years ago, and decided that there would be nothing about RVing that I would not learn...kept that promise, and can handle any of the systems, including driving, parking, setup, breakdown, etc. Mainly did this so I could camp whenever I wanted as DH worked a goofy schedule, and I did not want to have to wait till he was available! I HIGHLY recommend that all women learn how to handle their units too, AND all men learn how to close up the inside for travel...this goes both ways!

Some sort of instruction during the big rally would be a great idea...I would even be willing to help with some of the training myself.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I think that would be great I would love to learn how to pull the trailer!! i bet i could do it if i had to but would be nice to learn how before. I also think it's a good idea that someone els teaches Kenny just don't train well..He either yells or just don't say anything and that turns out bad either way..

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I think it would be great if a few ladies could be the instructors. I would be willing to assist as well.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

funlabs

What a great idea! I would love to learn how to hook up the 5er to the truck by myself. Dick is an accountant and can't really travel during tax season. I could take the trailer to agility trials when he can't go, but I'm just not comfortable backing up to the hitch without someone to guide me on.

Deb Hazel

dave10a

Several CDL driving schools across the nation provide RV instruction for those who are willing sign up. One school in my area charge $100-200 for class room and hands on driving skills. I highly recommend these schools. It provides the instruction necessary to pass a Class A license and is good for all to attend-- nothing better than getting professional training before one hits the road.