T31 safety chain failure

schew

I had something happen last fall and I want this forums perspective. While raising the power tongue jack to unhitch my trailer, I inadvertently forgot to place my wheel chocks behind my tires. I know, dumb me! When the hitch cleared the ball, the trailer rolled back ( less that 1.5 feet) and the safety chains tore away from the chassis. The chains have two bolts that through bolt into a steel plate.
Call me crazy but if I happened to be traveling and the hitch failed, there would be no way that the safety chains would have kept my trailer connected to my vehicle. I am of the opinion that there needs to be a recall on these chassis.

Attachments

• back view of defect.jpg
    back view of defect.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 24

2019_V22

Not good, but at least the break away break cable and switch would be your last safety feature, should the chains function fail.

mlpeloquin

Did you report this to the NHTSA, (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)? Enough reports will force a recall.

thewanderingeight

Did you report this to the NHTSA, (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)? Enough reports will force a recall.

While I agree with this, how many people are testing their safety chains like this? A bit scary to think about. I wonder if Heartland would jump to inspect this or just write it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk