Texas Registration and Inspections

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My 2006 F250 Diesel is due for new annual registration and inspection. I received this a few months ago from my Escapees News Bulletin email.

I want to update everyone on the issue of the registration/MVIS law that will be enacted on March 1, 2015, for the SKPs who register their vehicles in Texas. I have continued to monitor the situation and am pleased to pass on that a solution will be in place to allow RVers and others who are of the state to be able to re-register their vehicles without having to drive back to the state for the MVIS sticker.

During a Senate Transportation Committee meeting chaired by Senator Nichols, Whitney Brewster, the Director of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, publicly stated in the Transportation meeting that residents who are out of state at the time of re-registration will be allowed to complete the process without the need to return to the state for the vehicle inspection. On-line re-registration will be available for people who choose to use this option; however, at this time we do not know what type of documents will be needed to show proof that one is out of state.

When the vehicle has returned to the state, then the owner will have 72 hours to get the required inspection. All Texas county registration offices will have the ability to override the inspection requirement during the re-registration request. I have talked to the Polk County registration office, and they confirmed that this process will be available.

I would like to thank you for your patience while the wheels were grinding out a favorable solution for us who register our vehicles in Texas. I will continue to monitor this issue and will report back to you when needed.

I went to a local inspection station here in Collin County (I am registered in Polk County, Livingston TX). Diesel Pickups will only need to get a safety inspection until March. This may or may not change because in Collin County the inspection is for emissions and is about $34. Safety inspections are about $14.50 and only for Diesel Vehicles. The problem right now is the inspections computers are running on DOS and the TXDoT computers do not and cannot communicate with each other. If you are registered in a county that checks emissions you will have to get your vehicle inspected there. Polk County does not have emissions inspections so all the diesel trucks need is a safety inspection. At this time Diesel inspections, Safety, can be done in any county. That may change in March.

As mention above there will only be one sticker and that is the registration one. The safety and emissions sticker will not be used any more.

Before you go to have your vehicle inspected you need to check what the requirement is because if you fail the inspection at one station you can not go to another station to complete it.

I am not saying that everything above is 100% accurate !!!!! This is just to give you a heads up before you get your vehicle inspected.

FWIW
BC

</SPAN></SPAN>

pegmikef

Before you go to have your vehicle inspected you need to check what the requirement is because if you fail the inspection at one station you can not go to another station to complete it.

That must be a change, because last year my son's truck failed inspection here in San Angelo because the center seatbelt in the front seat was inoperative. We ended up getting a replacement belt (96 Dodge Dakota) off of ebay from an outfit in Maryland. By that time he was going to long haul driving school in Waxachie and had to get it inspected there. They were able to pull up his failed inspection and completed it there. The down side was he had to get an emissions test (we don't need them in our county) so had to pay the higher rate.

I am wondering how they are going to handle my registration as my truck is already registered for three years (2017).

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would thing you only have to get the safety inspection seeing how you have a diesel. I hope it doesn't get to where the diesel will need an emissions test. I have an EGR Block on my truck. It runs so much better. Wish we could keep the Government out of our business.

BC

SilverRhino

nO

I am wondering how they are going to handle my registration as my truck is already registered for three years (2017).

from what I have been told, you will.not have to worry about an inspection until it is time to 're-register your vehicle. The inspection stations will give you proof of inspection that you will provide just like your insurance when you register. I am sure that eventually the will get their computers talking to each other.

I am trying to figure out what it is going t o take to get my truck and trailer in sync. We do not have any emissions inspection in Lubbock county.

pegmikef

I am trying to figure out what it is going t o take to get my truck and trailer in sync. We do not have any emissions inspection in Lubbock county.

I have to take mine to two different inspection stations as we don't one here in San Angelo that can inspect both cars/trucks and trailers. I guess I'll find out in a few months.

SilverRhino

Guess we are lucky......as far as I know, any place doing the vehicle safety inspection can also do the trailer. What upsets me is the fact that the trailer inspection is basically checking that your lights work, then you pay your money and head down the road! That is all they have ever checked:eek: I do not really consider that a true inspection......that is common sense check before ever pulling out with a trailer.....Guess they are more concerned about getting the money over safety!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Randy... Safety inspection on trailer is supposed to include brake check. Some do it some don't, but it part of the requirement.
Had one inspection done at a big truck repair shop and they had me drive forward very slowly as they pulled the pin on the emergency brake to see if it engaged.
My next inspection was at a kwik lube and they walked around the trailer to see if it had lights, didn't even turn them on to see if they worked or not and didn't mention checking the brakes.
Makes you wonder how safe many units on the road really are!

SilverRhino

Bret....I agree, that the system is flawed at best! I was told by one RV lot that inspections on RVs had to be done at RV dealers and included brake checks and checks of the propane system for gas leaks. That would be more of an inspection, but in this case it was just another way for the dealer to gouge customers. The inspection on my FL is just the typical state inspection not a D.O.T. and it only involved checking the lights as well.... NOT that I wanted some ignorant teenager driving my truck, but just saying the whole inspection game is just that, a game.

pegmikef

Randy, Here in town none of the normal places that do inspections will do trailers. I don't think they even have the stickers as they are different than those for vehicles. I take mine to a place that sells, customizes, and even builds stock and cargo trailers and they do a pretty thorough inspection including the brakes and emergency brake. I also have my running gear maintenance done there (inspect, pack bearings, etc.) and they will usually look everything over during inspections (don't think that is required, but it is a courtesy). I usually call ahead because they only have one certified inspector and I like to make sure he is there.

Lou_and_Bette

The only problem I have encountered with the registration/inspection process is the expired sticker date. I am registered in Polk Co. (Livingston) also. I bought new truck in New York 2 years ago and new rig in Va this year. While it is OK with the state of Texas waiting until I am back in the state to get reinspected, being retired military, I occasionally want to go on base. If that inspection sticker is expired, no mater how much documentation I show them that Texas says it is OK to wait until I am back in the state, they will not allow me to bring the truck on base. I solved the problem by getting everything inspected in the same month, a time when we are always at my son's house near Ft. Worth. The truck inspection was done 5 months before it was due.

FARMER45

In Texas you can be approved to inspect cars and not rvs, . If you are approved for motorcycles you can do rvs too, (they use the same sticker) and not cars. Or you can get certified to do them all

VMooreSR

Randy, Here in town none of the normal places that do inspections will do trailers. I don't think they even have the stickers as they are different than those for vehicles. I take mine to a place that sells, customizes, and even builds stock and cargo trailers and they do a pretty thorough inspection including the brakes and emergency brake. I also have my running gear maintenance done there (inspect, pack bearings, etc.) and they will usually look everything over during inspections (don't think that is required, but it is a courtesy). I usually call ahead because they only have one certified inspector and I like to make sure he is there.

I have a sticker on my trailer, had to get one so DPS would pass it to get a Non commercial class A license. Certain inspection station are certified for trailers and they have stickers, there is a list by zip code on the DPS web site.

SilverRhino

I have a sticker on my trailer, had to get one so DPS would pass it to get a Non commercial class A license. Certain inspection station are certified for trailers and they have stickers, there is a list by zip code on the DPS web site.

Vince.....Same thing happened to me! All set to do my driving test for the Class A when the inspector informed me that my trailer inspection had expired. She had done all the pre-trip inspections, lights,air brake checks etc. when this was discovered. Called the shop that I use to do work on wifes car and they said sure we can inspect it. That inspection consisted of checking the lights and then slapping on the sitcker. Went back the next week and took the test.....Randy

Travel Safe!