Thermostat on exterior wall??

mthompson

We just purchased a new-to-us 2020 Landmark 365 Newport. In manufacturing someone had the great idea to mount the living room (rear) air conditioner thermostat on an exterior wall between 2 windows. It's located on the the wall behind the back couch in between the side window and the rear big window. (There are also light switches there, which is ridiculous, but a different issue). Has anyone out there with a Newport done anything to isolate the thermostat from the heat coming through the exterior wall and the windows so that it reads the interior temperature accurately? Today, I had that thermostat set at 70 and it continued to run all day. It was 68 inside the living room but I set a different thermometer on top of the thermostat and it read 77.

A different instance was I had all three thermostats set on 70 and we left for a few hours. When we came home, it didn't feel comfortable inside at all. The living room a/c was running continuously and the 2 front a/c's weren't running and wouldn't kick on when I set their temps lower. I then turned off the 2 back thermostats for about 30 seconds and turned them back on and they worked perfectly, cooled the RV down. The 2 front a/c's eventually cycled off while the living room kept running because it thought it was 77 in here.

Any advise ya'll could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Garypowell

I am sure there is extra wire behind the thermostat.....you might be able to put some insulation between it and the wall.....even some side shields too

another thought would be to move it someplace else. The wires go up to the a/c and possible you can reroute them some place else from up there by running the wires down the duct to reach another spot.

not the same problem but I added an identical thermostat to my bedroom unit and it sits in the living room. In the evening, to keep the noise down, I use the bedroom a/c to cool the living room. I close off the bedroom vents that forces all the cool air to the living room vents. I flip a three way switch which lets the bedroom a/c “see” this new living room thermostat.....and turn off the living room a/c.....close the bedroom door and it works like charm. And we can actually hear the tv.

when we go to bed, flip the switch back, open the bedroom vents and we are cool all night!

southernlady5464

We have a Charleston. While ours is not in such an inconvenient spot, it is in a bad spot. Until we got a thin shade for our door window, if we got afternoon sun on the door side of the rig, it screwed with our a/c or heat. The sun would beat down right on the thermostat and screw it all up. If they had put it around on the hallway wall out of the sun, it would help.

mthompson

I am sure there is extra wire behind the thermostat.....you might be able to put some insulation between it and the wall.....even some side shields too

another thought would be to move it someplace else. The wires go up to the a/c and possible you can reroute them some place else from up there by running the wires down the duct to reach another spot.

not the same problem but I added an identical thermostat to my bedroom unit and it sits in the living room. In the evening, to keep the noise down, I use the bedroom a/c to cool the living room. I close off the bedroom vents that forces all the cool air to the living room vents. I flip a three way switch which lets the bedroom a/c “see” this new living room thermostat.....and turn off the living room a/c.....close the bedroom door and it works like charm. And we can actually hear the tv.

when we go to bed, flip the switch back, open the bedroom vents and we are cool all night!
Thank you. I would rather not re-route it as that is either too much money or too much room for error. Insulating it seems to be the best option but I wonder if anyone else has done it and kept it looking half way descent.

mthompson

We have a Charleston. While ours is not in such an inconvenient spot, it is in a bad spot. Until we got a thin shade for our door window, if we got afternoon sun on the door side of the rig, it screwed with our a/c or heat. The sun would beat down right on the thermostat and screw it all up. If they had put it around on the hallway wall out of the sun, it would help.
Yea....doesn't take much to disturb the correct operation of these thermostats.