Thermostat turns itself on?

bwolf

Question about Dometic theromastat.

I have my new 4010RD plugged in, but still winterized. If we have time we try to spend the weekend in it while we gradually get it ready for full time. When we leave, I turn the main thermostat to off and the one in the bedroom is off. Twice now we have gone down and found the bedroom unit has turned itself on and running the A/C. Its only 10* outside. When we are there the furnace is set to "auto".

Anyone else have this issue? These thermostat's suck!
Just going to turn the breaker off for the A/C for now, but trying to find a fix.

RoadJunkie

Folks are going to need more information: Model of Thermostat? What is your process in turning it "Off"?

bwolf

Folks are going to need more information: Model of Thermostat? What is your process in turning it "Off"?

Its a Dometic digital thermostat that has mode on the left and up/down on right side. I hit mode till it says "off" in the lower corner of both thermostats.

carl.swoyer

Could be the communications cable. Looks like a telephone wire. If it has corrosion on ether end it will have communication loss and do it's own thing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

You are following the same process that I do, but I’ve never experienced this problem. Swap thermostats and see if the problem follows?

Gary521

The Dometic thermostat I have has two methods for turning it off: 1. The mode is pressed until OFF appears 2. The main Power button on the thermostat turns the entire thermostat ON or OFF. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you but if you can see "AUTO" on the stat it is not off. Have you tried the main power ON/OFF button on the thermostat?

Kenneths

I have the same problem with one of my units. I keep my Newport plugged in at home also and 4 times now I have found this same unit running. Yesterday It was set on 85 but running when the temps were 30. I have taken the unit apart and checked the connections but I don't see anything wrong on either end of the phone cable. I disconnect AC and DC power for a short time and it will go back to working correctly.

Any help will be appreciated.

carl.swoyer

I have the same problem with one of my units. I keep my Newport plugged in at home also and 4 times now I have found this same unit running. Yesterday It was set on 85 but running when the temps were 30. I have taken the unit apart and checked the connections but I don't see anything wrong on either end of the phone cable. I disconnect AC and DC power for a short time and it will go back to working correctly.

Any help will be appreciated.
Take a look at it communication cord ( telephone) looking for any corrosion on the phone connection. Green corrosion needs to be removed.
I believe that you are experiencing communication loss due to corrosion. You have to look on the roof top as well. That's where your probably going to find the corrosion. The factory doesn't use dielectric grease.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Kenneths

I didn't see any corrosion when I checked it last time. Should I just cut the ends and replace plugs or could the problem be in the wire?

Gary521

Even though you are hitting the "mode" button, the main power button is on the upper left. Try turning that off and see what happens. That should kill 12v power to the stat.