Things I do

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Things I do with Ken, I watch and make sure the sides will fit. After he gets unhitched I plug in the electric , Then i put out the sides and fix the inside up for us and our fur kids. While he finishes the out side. It takes us about 15 to 20 mins. and we are ready to camp and start enjoying our time.:):)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DH and I decide together if the rig is positioned OK. (Will the sewer hose reach? Will the slides fit? Will the tv antenna be able to go up?) I put down the blocks and chock tires. After the rig is set, I go inside with a walkie talkie and we communicate about level, as I put a level in the fridge and other surfaces. I then put out the slides, one by one(electric), as he watches. Once that's done, I get to work on the insides as he finishes hooking up everything outside. I put out the toiletries/toilet paper holder, bring out the end tables, unstrap chairs, set up the eating area, etc. Then DH comes in and usually gets food ready. (He's the cook of the two of us!) After we eat, he sets up the TVs and other electronics, and I do more straightening/organizing. Works well for us. If we try to help too much in each other's chores, it doesn't go as well. LOL!

Erika

bacaye

My job varies!!! The inside is my kingdom and the outside I am the slave!!!! Really, I usually just watch to keep Bill from hitting a tree or the garage. The outside, slides, etc. he takes care of but I often get reminders he does not have any help! Now and then I have to remind him, when I have those lonely moments of keeping the inside clean, that I did it by myself!!! lol

I also make all the reservations for all the camping we do. I usually decide between the rallies that are not that far..at least one a month during the summer/fall... so we can still camp with our friends that do not have a Heartland.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I am loving this conversation! John and I do not interfere with each others assigned tasks or (in the event we do) we have chaos! It's fun for the neighbors to watch but non-productive when we step into each other territory.

When we arrive I am ejected from the truck to check out the location of utilities and any obstructions on the site. John usually navigates into the site with little help from me and I just put the finishing touches on our location so we can reach all utilities and open the slides OK. I chock the tires and he waits by the level-up control panel to push the button. Once it says "success" I move inside, extend the slides, turn on the AC and start the transformation of our travel mess into a comfortable environment.

Now the task entitled "Let the screaming begin"! Finding a satellite signal. Most of our frustration stems from this task! I turn on the box and set it to signal meter, open the window so he can hear the beep and watch for the signal meter to indicate any signal strength!. He checks the compass to get an idea of direction and this is usually when the screaming begins. Actually, we have gotten pretty good at it in the last 2 years but there are still times when it is the most frustrating part of our set up.

When preparing to leave we just reverse the process and stay out of each others way. It works for us!

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Loving this thread! Sounds like most of us work this similarly.

When we arrive I navigate him into our spot, help him unhitch and then watch while he pushes the magic button that levels the whole thing! Once that is complete my territory is inside and his is outside. He chocks, hooks up to power, sewer, water, hooks up the cable and piddles with whatever else he feels like piddling with at the time. I go inside and push the magic buttons to let the slides out, unstrap the living room & dinner room chairs and go about putting all the various items that have been stowed for travel in their 'normal' places. I turn on the a/c. Takes about 30 minutes tops and we're ready to relax.

katkens-DW

After we we into our spot and are unhitched all he really has to do is get the sewer and water hooked up and get his grill and chair out. Leveling the rig is easy all he does is push a button and poof there it is level. I do all the inside as Barb said that's my kingdom TV and all but I know more about my tv then he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Newby
LOL ...
I will do whatever is necessary to do to set up ... I do not believe that there are jobs specific to a man or woman .... EXCEPT ... I gladly give up the reigns on emptying the grey & black tanks. THAT IS A MAN'S JOB. : ) LOL

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
My DW will even do the emptying, just not the hooking up. especially when its full and is gonna take a shower.

katkens-DW

if i had to hook it up I would I just think he needs something to do now that he has his level up. I think I could do it all but hooking it up I am always busy when he is doing that.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Now the task entitled "Let the screaming begin"! Finding a satellite signal. Most of our frustration stems from this task!

We solved that one last "problem" with a Trav'ler Satellite dish...expensive, but worth every penny...and then some!!! LOL

SueVaughn

I usually look for obstructions and where hook ups are when backing in. Then when getting ready to leave I do the inside and DH does the outside. We have perfected our routine so we can get underway in the least amount of time.....

Delaine and Lindy

Delaine and I know what the other does. With our 5th wheel and having set up and took down a gazillion times its so easy. Delaine does the inside and I do the outside. However the sewer hook up isn't not normally done the first day. When we depart a RV park I will always dump and flush so upon arrival its not nessary to hook up sewer. And with the Level Up system and the Winguard Traveler dish set up is very simple... Our adventure has took us over 4,000 this summer and we still have over 2,000 miles or more before we return to home base. And then its time to prepare for our winter trip arriving in Florida on Nov. 1st. Hard work but someone has to do it.. Oh, I also have to go and pick up the new 2012 Chevy 3500HD, every day is a Holiday. For those who are thinking of a new Truck, I can highly recomend the 2011 Chevy Truck. Its the best 3500HD I have owned, and GM has improved the 2012 3500HDs , more towing capacity... Happy Trails...

P.S. Hope to see some of you Heartlanders in Tampa Super RV show in Jan......

Bob Vaughn

Lindy,

I will see you and Delaine there and there will be a large contingent of Heartland Owners Club members on-hand to staff the club table at the indoor display. See you there!

Jim
Is there going to be a Heartland group camped together like last year.....

RanCarr

I help him back-in if it's not a pull-through site. Then he does the outside set-up work while I do the inside set-up. I get the coffee pot out first and get a pot going, get the kitties in from the TV as soon as the slide is out (never move a slide with cats in the TT), run out the awning, put out the table placemats and lamps, in general get the inside "unsecured" and as we like it. If he's not done by then, I go out and help unload the lawn chairs, BBQ stuff, etc. :) We work as a team and it gets done pretty fast. Then together we get the First-Up set up as an out door kitchen,... we are then all set up for a nice camping experience. We are now at Poole Knobs in LaVergne TN, a COE CG on the lake. Beautiful but very hot here in middle TN.

ditkitty

We pretty much follow the same routine as the rest of you - Dave does most of the outside, I do most of the inside. But when we break camp and hitch up, we BOTH make 360 inspections in and out to make sure we haven't missed anything. My only complaint with the whole routine is that on the rare occasions when we are breaking camp and I am done inside - if I go out to help undo stuff, he has "gorilla'd" all the hose attachments, and I couldn't unscrew them if my life depended on it ;)

RanCarr

We pretty much follow the same routine as the rest of you - Dave does most of the outside, I do most of the inside. But when we break camp and hitch up, we BOTH make 360 inspections in and out to make sure we haven't missed anything. My only complaint with the whole routine is that on the rare occasions when we are breaking camp and I am done inside - if I go out to help undo stuff, he has "gorilla'd" all the hose attachments, and I couldn't unscrew them if my life depended on it ;)

When breaking camp I do all the inside securing, then help him outside with taking down the First-Up and loading the cubbies with the cooking/BBQ stuff. Doing the inside always seems to take less time than doing the outside stuff. And the more experienced I get at it, the faster it goes. :)

jpdoggett

I and my wife Pat have our things we do she does the inside and I do the outside I move any chairs or things like that inside for her and when we ready to hook up she gets in the truck and backs it up and hooks up the RV to the Truck she has gotten very good at it

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
You go Pat! Glad to see it when the ladies get themselves hooked up! I do it all the time and it actually is a big help to get us underway!