Things I learned at our "Latest" NASCAR camp out

porthole

Retired
Things I learned at our first NASCAR camp out

And what we learned this year - if it looks wet and other people are getting towed out of the mud, and the track has at least two heavy wreckers on the clock - you are probably going to get towed, once, twice or even three times :mad:

Keep in mind as you look at these, this particular lot is a RV Handicap lot!

It was wet.

And lots of mud

And slippery as ice mud will suck you right in. The truck and trailer, on either side of hard packed mud, stuck in pudding mud

One of the heavy wreckers

The wrecker operator recently had hip surgery and could not pull the cable by himself - so he had the double shoulder surgery guy help him out

After the third winch out. Notice that the the camper to our right went to Home Depot and bought sheets of OSB?

After we finally got "settled in" in another lot, a half mile away from where we are supposed to be - this is in the RV space next to us. There is a drainage creek 5 feet from this pooling.

Getting winched out

See the tracks in the mud right in front of the Cyclone? These guys almost nailed us. Although I am surprised the old Suburban did so well pulling the RV around.

This poor guy had to have help carrying his motorized cart to less muddied ground just to move around.

avvidclif

I would have politely asked for a refund and gone somewhere else. I might get caught by surprise in that kind of a mess but dern if I'll drive into it. My 2 cents

EPaulikonis

Dover was a frog strangler this year. We didn't make the trip, but my brother-in-law and several other regulars got in too deep. They had an enormous farm tractor pull them out.

chaplady

Liz & I walked into the lot to see if we could find you we didn't walk far look more like swamp lands. Atleast the racing was good.

porthole

Retired
Bill, we ended up in Lot 2.

Saturday the weather was fine. Sunday it was in the 50's, blowing 20+ and straight into the stands. Very uncomfortable. Needed gloves!
We left after the red flag, got back to the trailer in time to see the finish with a hot cup of coffee.

chaplady

On Sat we just made it back to truck before rain started you could tell the temp change coming. Im sure you had a chilly day on Sunday. Place looked baron without all the souvenir haulers there.

Jim-Lynn

Bill, we ended up in Lot 2.

Saturday the weather was fine. Sunday it was in the 50's, blowing 20+ and straight into the stands. Very uncomfortable. Needed gloves!
We left after the red flag, got back to the trailer in time to see the finish with a hot cup of coffee.

Duane & Debbie; I do 3 to 4 NASCAR races a year, RAIN is a PAIN. My wife decided to go last year, for the 1st time, Bristol & Michigan - BOTH RAIN & more RAIN. We, like every other fan, toughed it out and did see the race. Head to New Hampshire in July.

I bet you still had a blast? Have been there and it is a great track and facility.

Jim

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
We did have a great time and we will do it again... mud washed off easily at the Blue Beacon on the way home..

Bohemian

BTDT

Fortunately we fidn't get stuck (for long). The event was the Hershey, PA RV show in Sept. After two shows with problems, they stopped providing camping at the show. They has a great spot (still do), but after 2 years the guests at the Hershey Hotel 1/2 mile up the road complained. Then they moved to,pastures. Good when dry. Then 2 years if disasters and turning people away at the last second and pulling stuck people out. Then, the end of show camping.

mlpeloquin

BTDT

Fortunately we fidn't get stuck (for long). The event was the Hershey, PA RV show in Sept. After two shows with problems, they stopped providing camping at the show. They has a great spot (still do), but after 2 years the guests at the Hershey Hotel 1/2 mile up the road complained. Then they moved to,pastures. Good when dry. Then 2 years if disasters and turning people away at the last second and pulling stuck people out. Then, the end of show camping.

Thousand Trails Hershey RV & Camping Resort in Lebanon, Pennsylvania is one of the nicest parks we have been to and is a few minuets from Hershey.