Those pretty dash lights

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am posting this in case it happens to someone else. We have had our pickup in 3 different shops in three different states for the same issue. Driving along both towing and not we had an issue where the ABS, Brake, and Traction control lights would all come on followed by an alarm and a red Check Brake System message from the message center. Now it gets fun! During all of this the pickup would lunge a couple of times, the windshield wipers would come on, we would lose power to the stereo, and the speedometer would quit working. We could also hear the ABS system activating like we were in a panic stop on ice. Other than being able to hear the anti locks we did not lose power, braking performance or suffer lower fuel mileage. Took the pickup into the Ford dealer in Slidell LA and they replaced the rear diff speed sensor as well as the multi-function switch (turn signal/wiper/high beams). The code we downloaded off of the Insight said U0418 which is Invalid data from the Brake System Control Module. The service manager stated that Ford decided to limit the endless codes it could create and bunched some into just a couple called U codes. I hope this does not happen to anyone else but at least if you read this you can smile knowing you have a place to start if it does. The windshield wipers coming on did give us something to laugh about after a couple hundred miles!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am posting this in case it happens to someone else. We have had our pickup in 3 different shops in three different states for the same issue. Driving along both towing and not we had an issue where the ABS, Brake, and Traction control lights would all come on followed by an alarm and a red Check Brake System message from the message center. Now it gets fun! During all of this the pickup would lunge a couple of times, the windshield wipers would come on, we would lose power to the stereo, and the speedometer would quit working. We could also hear the ABS system activating like we were in a panic stop on ice. Other than being able to hear the anti locks we did not lose power, braking performance or suffer lower fuel mileage. Took the pickup into the Ford dealer in Slidell LA and they replaced the rear diff speed sensor as well as the multi-function switch (turn signal/wiper/high beams). The code we downloaded off of the Insight said U0418 which is Invalid data from the Brake System Control Module. The service manager stated that Ford decided to limit the endless codes it could create and bunched some into just a couple called U codes. I hope this does not happen to anyone else but at least if you read this you can smile knowing you have a place to start if it does. The windshield wipers coming on did give us something to laugh about after a couple hundred miles!

Is that the truck's equivalent to waving its arms and yelling, "Danger, Danger Will Robinson!" ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Every time I am going south on C-470 along the hogback from I-70 toward the Hwy 285 exit (Mike knows where this is) with the Prowler in tow, the 'service auto braking system' light comes on.

It is a long down slope along the foothills on the west side of Denver, but nowhere near as steep as many of the mountain passes we go over after that!

It has never come on anywhere else, and it always resets itself and goes away when I shut the engine off and start it again.

The first time it happened I freaked out and pulled over, and of course when I started the truck again it was gone. :confused:

I asked my dealership about it when I was in for an oil change and they checked it out (probably plugged it in to their computer) and couldn't find anything wrong.

There must be a polterguiest or something along that stretch of highway just waiting to mess with my head. :p