Tilt Bed control tied to lights above bed?

wilsonxjr

Wasn't sure whether this belonged in the Electrical/12v DC or the Interior/Bed section. Hoping someone can help ...

In my 2021 Cyclone 4007, the tilt bed control switch is tied to the light switch right above it that turns on/off the puck lights above the bed. In other words, we can't control the tilt bed unless the lights above it are turned on.

It seems like the two should be able to operate independent of the other. Maybe it has to be this way?

If not, is there an easy solution? The light switch has two wires, one that goes to the tilt bed control switch. Image of the back of the tilt bed control switch is attached.

Any suggestions on how to get them to operate independent of each other?

Thanks in advance ...

Attachments

• Tilt Bed Control Switch.jpg
    Tilt Bed Control Switch.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 22

svc013

On the light switch, you probably have a HOT wire coming from your panel on one side. On the other side, you should have a wire going to the light. I am assuming there is a second wire on the light side going to the tilt switch(the blue wire from your photo). If this is the case, you can move that wire heading to the tilt switch to the other side of the light switch. Basically, you have to turn the light switch on now to get power to your tilt. If you move that single wire to the other side of the switch, you are sending power to the tilt whether the light is on or not.

wilsonxjr

On the light switch, you probably have a HOT wire coming from your panel on one side. On the other side, you should have a wire going to the light. I am assuming there is a second wire on the light side going to the tilt switch(the blue wire from your photo). If this is the case, you can move that wire heading to the tilt switch to the other side of the light switch. Basically, you have to turn the light switch on now to get power to your tilt. If you move that single wire to the other side of the switch, you are sending power to the tilt whether the light is on or not.
Only two wires going in to the light switch ... one from the bed tilt switch and one going up the wall, assuming to the lights.
Thinking this might be the 12v negative wire and when the switch is turned on it completes the circuit for all the switches on that run ... so the bed tilt and light use the same negative wire.
Might not be as simple as the wires connected to the two switches. Am I going to have to find a separate negative for each switch to separate them?

svc013

Sorry, I missed that line in your original post. I'm studying your photo. There is something definitely wrong. That is a DPDT switch. How are you with a voltmeter? We can figure this out if you want to. I attached a quick diagram of how it should be. It looks like there are 3 wires on the top left post and only 1 on the top right. Is that correct?

I would start by measuring across the light switch with the switch off. Put the red wire on the side that goes to the light and the black on the side that goes to the tilt switch, if it read 12v then the blue wire is a ground. If it reads -12v then the blue wire is positive.

Next, unplug the blue wire/white with a blue stripe from the tilt switch. See if the light still works with it unplugged.

The idea is to figure out which wire is what and make it look like the diagram I sent you.

Attachments

• Switch Diagram.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 4

wilsonxjr

Sorry, I missed that line in your original post. I'm studying your photo. There is something definitely wrong. That is a DPDT switch. How are you with a voltmeter? We can figure this out if you want to. I attached a quick diagram of how it should be. It looks like there are 3 wires on the top left post and only 1 on the top right. Is that correct?

I would start by measuring across the light switch with the switch off. Put the red wire on the side that goes to the light and the black on the side that goes to the tilt switch, if it read 12v then the blue wire is a ground. If it reads -12v then the blue wire is positive.

Next, unplug the blue wire/white with a blue stripe from the tilt switch. See if the light still works with it unplugged.

The idea is to figure out which wire is what and make it look like the diagram I sent you.
Based on your instructions, I am getting a positive 12v reading across the light switch, indicating the switch is completing the negative connection.

I unplugged the two blue/white wires from the top-left lead (#6) on the tilt switch and the light still works.

There are three wires going in to each of the top left (#6) and top right (#3) leads on the tilt switch, and one wire in to each of the other four leads (1, 2, 4, & 5). Looking at your tilt switch diagram it looks like the cross-overs (A & B) are correct and assuming the two bed motor leads (2 & 5, middle right/left) are good as the tilt does work.

Based on your tilt switch diagram, the wire from the light switch (neg) is going to the wrong side.

Thanks for working with me on this!

svc013

that's my thought too. Here is the problem. That should be a positive 12v line coming into the bed tilt system, if that is the case, then why is the fuse not blowing as it is tieing the ground straight to a hot. OK, here's my thought. Let's start clarifying some things and make sure to call them the same.

What you called lead #6. There are 3 wires.
Black (crossover A on my diagram)
White wire (not sure yet what this is.
Blue (from the light switch) and White with blue stripe. Both of those are inside the same terminal. I believe these are a ground. The white w/blue is a ground from the RV and the solid blue is a ground that goes to the light switch. A way to test it is to disconnect it from both switches. Test it from either wire to the light switch again. I hope to see positive 12 again. If so, read on.

Next, with both those wires still disconnected. unplug the other 2 white wires coming into leads 3 & 6. We need a way to label them. Do they have color stripes on them? With the black meter lead on the blue ground wire, test each of those two white wires. I am hoping you find positive 12v on one of them. If so, refer to my diagram, put blues on 3 or 6 and put the white that gives you 12vs on the other. if the bed moves opposite of the switch, switch leads 3 & 6. The other white wire goes to something you else. Leave it unplugged until you find something not working.

My gut tells me that the 2 white wires are just switched but until we test a couple of these, we will not know. Good Luck.

wilsonxjr

that's my thought too. Here is the problem. That should be a positive 12v line coming into the bed tilt system, if that is the case, then why is the fuse not blowing as it is tieing the ground straight to a hot. OK, here's my thought. Let's start clarifying some things and make sure to call them the same.

What you called lead #6. There are 3 wires.
Black (crossover A on my diagram)
White wire (not sure yet what this is.
Blue (from the light switch) and White with blue stripe. Both of those are inside the same terminal. I believe these are a ground. The white w/blue is a ground from the RV and the solid blue is a ground that goes to the light switch. A way to test it is to disconnect it from both switches. Test it from either wire to the light switch again. I hope to see positive 12 again. If so, read on.

Next, with both those wires still disconnected. unplug the other 2 white wires coming into leads 3 & 6. We need a way to label them. Do they have color stripes on them? With the black meter lead on the blue ground wire, test each of those two white wires. I am hoping you find positive 12v on one of them. If so, refer to my diagram, put blues on 3 or 6 and put the white that gives you 12vs on the other. if the bed moves opposite of the switch, switch leads 3 & 6. The other white wire goes to something you else. Leave it unplugged until you find something not working.

My gut tells me that the 2 white wires are just switched but until we test a couple of these, we will not know. Good Luck.
Thanks! I'll see what I can do to identify the other wires.

Until then, here's a diagram of how the switch is currently wired with wire colors in case it's helpful.

Attachments

• Tilt Bed Switch Current.pdf
    320.3 KB · Views: 6

svc013

It does help and may change things a bit. I thought one of the white wires on term 3 was actually on term 6.
I would still disconnect everything and individually test them. I am starting to think they may have plugged a wire into the wrong switch and the light switch is the problem. That is a tough one.

I think if it were me at this point, I would find another ground close by. One that you are 100% sure is a ground. Disconnect all the wires on term 3 and 6 and also the light switch. Use your 100% sure ground to test each individually. Find which ones are 12v and which ones are gound. Double check the grounds with an ohm reading to make sure they are not just unplugged on the end you can't see.

bigtphx

Based on your instructions, I am getting a positive 12v reading across the light switch, indicating the switch is completing the negative connection.

I unplugged the two blue/white wires from the top-left lead (#6) on the tilt switch and the light still works.

There are three wires going in to each of the top left (#6) and top right (#3) leads on the tilt switch, and one wire in to each of the other four leads (1, 2, 4, & 5). Looking at your tilt switch diagram it looks like the cross-overs (A & B) are correct and assuming the two bed motor leads (2 & 5, middle right/left) are good as the tilt does work.

Based on your tilt switch diagram, the wire from the light switch (neg) is going to the wrong side.

Thanks for working with me on this!
seems like they split gound wire thats for bed and lights in wrong place